The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

CSP / Airkewld or other Front disc option??

CSP / Airkewld or other Front disc option??

by berpsta » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:09 pm
Looking to buy and fit some front discs on my 11 window over the winter....im liking these from the airkewld
http://airkewld.com/index.php?page=shop ... Itemid=252
cos of the option of switching from wide 5 to a porsche pattern if you fancy a wheel change..... whats everyone elses views experiences with either the 2 named makes or any other

Cheers

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

Re: CSP / Airkewld or other Front disc option??

by vwJim » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 pm
Never tried them, yet. Fitted plenty of CSP's and never had a problem with any of them. Fitted a few other types of brakes and CSP have been better than any of them. CSP's are currently discounted, well some of them are.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by j0hn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:05 am
How do Sean

I fitted this kit from FutBus earlier in the year. Worked out a bit cheaper than CSP at the time, and they seemed to have a good reputation - performance-wise. The bearings and seals are standard parts, and the calipers are VW fittment (not sure what off though :oops: )

The 15" won't fit stock 15" bus wheels, but fitted my SA Sprints fine, and the 15" beetle spare.

There were a few niggles when fitting - they caliper mounts for a bay first time around meaning the calipers were 3mm out of alignment with the disk causing interference issues, but they sent the right ones out once the issue had been discovered.

Also the wheel bolts needed a couple of mm shaved off to prevent them clipping the caliper - they did tell me this would probably need doing after I'd mentioned it to them. You can now get them with studs (as in the pic on the website) to avoid this.

They seemed to have sorted the grease seal problem that Jim and MarkFer encountered.

Engineering and performance-wise they're good, it was just the human aspect that let things down a little - wrong bracket and communications etc.

Really pleased with them so far, performance is great even without a servo. We've probably done 6000 miles since fitting them in March without a single problem - they give you a bit more confidence on long/steep hills :) And there was plenty of them in Europe 8O

Cheers
j0hn
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:51 pm
The kit looks nice enough but I would go for at least a 20mm vented disk. Also the drilled disks rust and wear pads really just for looks as far as we are concern. What is the total price including shipping and import tax etc?
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by MarkFer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:20 pm
Had my Futbus disks on for over a year now and have done ~ 13000 miles without a problem, touch wood. As john said, apart from the niggles the actual brakes are great. And are definately better than the standard (non vented) 15" CSP disks that were on when I bought the bus. Mind you they should be, the disk pads are 50% bigger.

Mark
MarkFer
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:57 pm
MarkFer wrote:And are definately better than the standard (non vented) 15" CSP disks that were on when I bought the bus. Mind you they should be, the disk pads are 50% bigger.

Mark
Isn't that because your brakes are now boosted, where they weren't before?
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by MarkFer » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm
vwJim wrote:Isn't that because your brakes are now boosted, where they weren't before?
No, they were always boosted - apart from when we had to use the dodgy loan engine....

You changed it to one of your dual circuit servos from a single circuit servo, so the rears are now boosted but I don't think that explains the difference. Especially under heavy braking...!

Plus the Futbus brakes have never exhibited the squealing that the CSP brakes used to do after long downhill runs in Cornwall fully loaded...
MarkFer
SSVC Member

by boyblue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:28 pm
Berpsta

I have the airkewld Wilwoods and I cannot fault them at all. They are a fraction dearer than the CSP however well worth the extra dollar!
CSP has a single piston whereas the Wilwoods have four!
They fitted a treat and I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on anything else.
James.
boyblue

by vwbuzzers » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:54 pm
Guys wait till you see my new brake kit :wink:
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member