The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

starter packed in , no click - nothing, just NOTHING

starter packed in , no click - nothing, just NOTHING

by jayvanman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:12 pm
as per description, is this starter just knackered, battery earth seems to be fine, tried bridging the terminals on the starter it's self but they just sparked no clonk or anything,

I was wondering if anybody could help before i go buy a new one

J
jayvanman

Re: starter packed in , no click - nothing, just NOTHING

by jellibus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:16 pm
Put it in 2nd gear and rock the bus forward & backwards a bit. Sometimes they stick 'on'
Have you checked the switch wire to make sure it's 'live' when you turn the ignition swith to'start'
jellibus

by jayvanman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:05 am
Hi Jellibus

switch wire - the push on wire to the starter ?

I'll try rocking it later, I have tried rocking it but can't remeber if it was 2nd or not

Jason
jayvanman

by tboarder » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 am
Had "stuck" starter myself but thought got click with that one. More recently the fusebox dropped and was shorting but then had no click and no red/green or headlights.

Tim
tboarder
SSVC Member

by orb » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:54 am
Also check the earth strap on the gearbox, they have a habit of breaking and producing the same results

Orb
orb

by The splitster » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:45 pm
Hit the solenoid with a hammer (lightly)
The splitster

by jayvanman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:44 am
cleaned the 2 fuse ends on the right hand side of fuse box, tried rocking it in 2nd gear, gearbox strap ok

nothing

the soliniod ( the part on the side of the motor with the terminal and the two bolts for the connections has a bit of play in it, 5mm or so ?

Jason
jayvanman

by mrico1964 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35 pm
are the red and green lights diming when you turn the key? ,try a known good battery, give all conections a good clean, get metal on metal on everything

mark
mrico1964
SSVC Member

by jellibus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:25 pm
Hello again.
Turn on the headlights and turn the key as if to start the bus. Do the headlights dim drastically? If they do there is likely a starter problem - if not, there is no powere going through to the starter.

The 'switch' wire I spoke about earlier is the one form the ignition switch back to the starter. The above will test this out for you though.

You could also take the starter off and wire it straight to the battery.
Steve
jellibus

by jayvanman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:45 pm
Thanks Jellybus,

I just tried starting it with the lights on and they didn't dim so I am hoping that it's an electrical problem and not a new starter.

I'll get the electrical tester on it and try and find out which bit is knackered.

Thanks for your help

Jason
jayvanman

by jellibus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:17 pm
Have you checked the wires onto the ignition switch?
If the oil and battery warning lights come on when you turn the key? the sswitch/starter wire may have come off, or broken.
Keep at it :wink:
jellibus

by jayvanman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:05 am
Ok after much fun and games I managed to get the light switch out and clean the terminals and the the ignition, I checked it with the elec meter and get 11.8v from the wire marked as 50 - the switch wire.

this one runs all the way to the starter, so job for tomorrow is see if I am getting the same volts starter end, I really hope not, just because it's a whole lot easier to run a wire than it is to buy and replace a starter, not to mention cheaper.

I am fairly hopeful it is as the switch wire at the ignition end is wrapped in electrical tape so I am hoping there is some bodge in there that needs fixing.

I'll let you all know soon.

Jason
jayvanman

by jayvanman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:49 pm
tonight I have been under the van trying to sort this out, at 1st I had no body to help so ran a wire about the same thickness from the battery straight to the starter, nothing.

Still in the vain hope that it might not be the starter knackered i found the earth strap, at one end it is torn in half. so presumably not getting enough current through ?

something that has just occurred to me, before this happened the starter was acting funny, I thought I might have taken off some teeth on the fly wheel as it would turn for a few rev about 4, normally enough to get b going but then it would make a whirling noise like it was spinning but there were no teeth for it to engage with on the fly wheel.

In my heart of hearts I don't think I had taken any teeth off but does this sound like a symptom of a starter motor about to pack up ?

Jason
jayvanman

by jellibus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Think you need a new starter. :?
The starter has two internal actions,one is the spinning and one is throwing the spin out to engage with the flywheel. Whirring mean its not throwing out to engage. Mine does the same.
jellibus

by jayvanman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:10 pm
It was doing both, the engine was turning over but then it would stop and I'd just get the whirling before the engine da a chance of starting up.

I have got another starter on its way so hopefully that should sort it.

Thanks for the useful tips and advice.

Jason
jayvanman