The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Steering Box Leak :(

Steering Box Leak :(

by KateLou » Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 pm
Our steering has starting leaking oil :( noticed it on the garage floor this morning. Only a small amount but clearly leaking. Where is the best place to get a new seal from? Also we have a wedding in the bus next week if we dont get a chance to fix am worried about using? anyone used their buses with steering oil leaking?? Thanks Kate
KateLou
SSVC Member

Re: Steering Box Leak :(

by DubEd67 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:49 pm
I hit my box very hard on a speed bump yesterday and it to has started to leek a little bit :(
Would like to no where to get new seal as well. I will be keeping an eye on this post.
DubEd67

by KateLou » Sat May 04, 2013 3:27 pm
Oh no not good :( will let you know if I have any joy.
KateLou
SSVC Member

by Ted » Sat May 04, 2013 3:49 pm
Can't help with the seal but me and lots of others remove the filler plug , screw in a grease nipple and pump the box with grease..
I've run mine for the last 10 years with no probs .
Ted

by matt d » Sat May 04, 2013 3:56 pm
So it's leaking from the output shaft seal?
Is there any play in the output shaft when the steering wheel is turned side to side?
I wouldn't worry about using it in the short term. You could try grease but I'm not sure what grease is best, maybe someone else knows or you could pm rusting hulk as he rebuilds them and knows the right grease to use.
matt d

by tufty65 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:54 pm
You can use it with a leaking box fine just top it up :)
It's best to remove the column and box and get it rebuilt at some stage or do it yourself if you can ream and can get the bushes and seals then give it a good coat it gloss black paint to seal it further.
I rebuilt mine and used semi fluid grease, not sticky like grease but not runny either, bit like syrup. All the old boys use it in classic car/ motorbike restos. eBay.
tufty65

by KateLou » Sat May 04, 2013 8:54 pm
matt d wrote:So it's leaking from the output shaft seal?
Is there any play in the output shaft when the steering wheel is turned side to side?
I wouldn't worry about using it in the short term. You could try grease but I'm not sure what grease is best, maybe someone else knows or you could pm rusting hulk as he rebuilds them and knows the right grease to use.
Yes I think from the output shaft seal Matt
There is play in the steering when turned side to side which altered me something maybe wrong
It's booked in early June to have the engine out to sort out a few niggles so will get steering looked at same time I think. Only plan to use it for a few days this month and only local
KateLou
SSVC Member

by KateLou » Sat May 04, 2013 8:57 pm
tufty65 wrote:You can use it with a leaking box fine just top it up :)
It's best to remove the column and box and get it rebuilt at some stage or do it yourself if you can ream and can get the bushes and seals then give it a good coat it gloss black paint to seal it further.
I rebuilt mine and used semi fluid grease, not sticky like grease but not runny either, bit like syrup. All the old boys use it in classic car/ motorbike restos. eBay.
Thanks tufty65 :) will stop me worrying like a mother hen now :) been for a drive tonight and it seems Ok fingers crossed will hold out until we can get it looked at. X
KateLou
SSVC Member

by matt d » Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 am
So the output shaft is worn which is why the seal is gone. It's ok to keep using it but plan an overhaul on it.
matt d

by mark65 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 am
My steering box was leaking from the shaft seal but had no play in it .When i removed the old one it had gone rock hard due to age. It was 48 years old so to be expected. I got a new one from ebay , it came from Hong Kong in a few days .The size seal you need is 25 x 36 x 7. Have a look at item no 181133733023. Hope this helps
mark65

by KateLou » Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 pm
mark65 wrote:My steering box was leaking from the shaft seal but had no play in it .When i removed the old one it had gone rock hard due to age. It was 48 years old so to be expected. I got a new one from ebay , it came from Hong Kong in a few days .The size seal you need is 25 x 36 x 7. Have a look at item no 181133733023. Hope this helps
Thanks x
KateLou
SSVC Member

by Sjtw » Wed May 08, 2013 3:06 pm
Mine leaks too :roll:
I just top it up with Penrite Steering Box Lube using a syringe and a bit of tube.

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct. ... de=015.947

You just unscrew this bit...

That's not my steering box by the way! (I wish it was...You can see why you need the syringe and tube.)

KUHL-TEK do a referb kit, and also do it for you I believe.

http://www.kuhl-tek.co.uk/ourshop/prod_ ... t-Kit.html

Jim Merrin also does that sort of work I think. http://www.vwjim.co.uk/ourservices.html
Top bloke.
Sjtw
SSVC Member

by Marvelwear » Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm
Can vouch for kulh tek, mike did mine a few years ago, it like new still! He did mine in a couple of days and even offered to fit it:-)top bloke.
Marvelwear
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Wed May 08, 2013 7:30 pm
Club shop also sells the seals / gaskets / steering box parts etc etc.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Sjtw » Thu May 09, 2013 6:43 am
vwJim wrote:Club shop also sells the seals / gaskets / steering box parts etc etc.
Where's the club shop Jim?
Sjtw
SSVC Member