The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Reduction box Oil

Reduction box Oil

by NikC » Fri May 24, 2013 2:08 pm
I've just been out and done some oil changes on the bus to fill the void left by what looked like a big old leak over winter ....

Left side reduction box, drained, .25ltr in ... easy
Gear box, drain via the plug at the front of the gearbox (closest to the steering wheel), was pretty furry (should I worry ?), filled it via the side plug till it overflowed (just under 2ltrs)
Right side reduction box (the one with the biggest leak over winter), drained .... looked at the oil coming out and some of it was real thick black stuff, but some of it looked brand new, like the stuff I'd just put in the gear box, and it kept coming out .... I topped it up with .20ltrs

Is it normal for the gearbox oil to filter down into the reduction box ?

over the winter I've had leaks from what looks like the gearbox and box reduction boxes, have managed to get a mate to sort a ramp for tomorrow, hence filling it today, just wondering if I should be worried about what I've perceived as gearbox oil filtering down ...

Cheers

Nik
NikC
SSVC Member

Re: Reduction box Oil

by vwJim » Fri May 24, 2013 2:27 pm
No that's completely normal to oil to circulate around like that.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by NikC » Fri May 24, 2013 2:37 pm
vwJim wrote:No that's completely normal to oil to circulate around like that.
Thanks Jim.

Is there an order to do this in then ? Cause if I put .25 in the reduction box and the gearbox is topping that up, could I end up with too much ?
NikC
SSVC Member

by SSVC Van Register » Fri May 24, 2013 6:01 pm
.25 ltr in each reeduction box, then top up gearbox. Run it for a bit then recheck gearbox level. Job done. Use EP 80w gear oil for the UK climate.

Steve S.
SSVC Van Register