The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Fitting a loom

Fitting a loom

by robmccreedie » Tue May 28, 2013 7:51 pm
I've got a new loom to install from volksgoods and whilst the instructions are omprehensive i was wondering if there were any time saving hints and tips out there?

All input appreciated, i mgh not respond thanking for input as im off to frane for a few days.

8)
robmccreedie
SSVC Member

Re: Fitting a loom

by vwJim » Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Do the install somewhere where there is good light and plenty of space to have the doors fully open.

Take the dash out too if you can.
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by JacksHere » Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 am
+1 on space, and jacking up your bus if its lowered.

I laid the new loom out under the bus and attached the starter motor 1st, then fed/pulled the front forwards using the old loom and the rear backwards using the old loom.

This worked really well :cheers:
JacksHere

by Jim the Van » Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 am
I think I must of been really lucky as I had the bus up on a ramp and me and a mate both novices pulled it all through in 20mins. There really are only a few wires fuse board to the rear. Use a wire coat hanger or welding rod if you have one to tape the heads of the wires to ands then feed it through. Have some silicone spray to hand ( WD40 will do) in case it gets stuck and then one pull and one feed it in. I started in the engine bay and worked my way forward. Personally id feed a couple extra wires through for future use. If its a US bus a separate indicator light, possible a temp sender or rev counter. All this done now will make it so much easier in the future. I also ran the power for the radio and interior lights direct from the leisure battery so they will never drain my main battery.
Jim the Van
SSVC Member

by splitintwo » Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 pm
robmccreedie wrote:I've got a new loom to install from volksgoods and whilst the instructions are omprehensive i was wondering if there were any time saving hints and tips out there?

All input appreciated, i mgh not respond thanking for input as im off to frane for a few days.

8)

Hey Rob!! hows tricks?
Yes I do make sure that the loom is the right side of the steering box, as I found out 8O if it's not in the right place then the only way around this is to whip the steering box out or disconnect all the loom and re-feed back to fuse box. guess what I've done? just left it till the box comes out for a refurb. there are some tabs that bend over the loom. try and follow them.
Ben
splitintwo

by monkey knuts » Thu May 30, 2013 10:34 am
Make sure you don't feed the brake switch wires into the cab. You'll never get them out again!
Don't ask me how I know this.
monkey knuts

by robmccreedie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:44 pm
thanks for the tips guys.

going to start on it this weekend 8O
robmccreedie
SSVC Member