The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

Fitting a TMI headliner

Fitting a TMI headliner

by robmccreedie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:47 am
Any hints and tips for fitting this? I presume start from the front and bend out the little retaining tabs that held the old one in, ready for the new one.

Should I use new steel rods or reuse the ones that come out of the old headliner?
robmccreedie
SSVC Member

Re: Fitting a TMI headliner

by maddison » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am
my advise

dont try and get everything tight and taught....they actually fit better with less creases if you dont
but yep, basically start at the front, get it all in place around your air box, then work your way back, get it hooked on at the rear, get it all sitting nice and even , then start glueing into the rails along each side

its not as bad as you think its gonna be (having said that...mine looks crap :cheers: so dont take my word for anything :roll:
maddison
SSVC Member

by BJ1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 am
Yes - Steve is right. Don't stretch it too tight or it will crease all over and pull away from the rear of the airbox. Ask me how I know :roll:

Use your old rods, start at the front and work back. Fix the front part at the airbox first. Get some decent glue - the spray stuff gets diluted by plasticiser in the pvc and turns into non sticky mush. VW used something like evostick. It's a pig of a job that gets easier after you screw up the first one :lol:

Taking my new bus for MoT next week if I can get it to run properly with baby dells.

Brian
BJ1
SSVC Member

by maddison » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am
BJ1 wrote: It's a pig of a job that gets easier after you screw up the first one :lol:

think that basically sums it up Brian ;-)
maddison
SSVC Member

by JonnyCJ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:38 pm
Be careful when fitting the side trim if it's perforated. The last thing you want to do is have glue seeping out through the perofration holes.

I investigated doing it myself but the potential to do an almighty fubar made me realise that I'd rather pay an expert.

If you get it wrong and have to buy a new headliner you may have just as well have paid the expert anyway.

TMI liners are top notch, anti rot stitching and all that.

Good luck - I'm not that brave I'm afraid :roll:
JonnyCJ
SSVC Member

by robmccreedie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:39 pm
Thanks for the tips guys. Invaluable as always. I'll let you know how i get on.

BJ1 wrote:
Taking my new bus for MoT next week if I can get it to run properly with baby dells.

Brian

Great news bri. I have had the offer of a friends mazda bongo (the shame) but it wouldnt be the end of the world :(
robmccreedie
SSVC Member