The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Technical

14" stock wheel front disc brake conversion kit choices

14" stock wheel front disc brake conversion kit choices

by terrymusgrove » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:22 pm
After extensive research I think I have finally narrowed down my search.

I am deciding between the Futbus kit http://www.vwbuses.co.uk/Split_screen_W ... 38738.aspx

Or wagenwest babystang kit http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/ind ... rakes.html

They are both around the £800-900 mark

I have narrowed it down to these based on the fact that they both use readily available parts which are not bespoke so easy to get spares/replacements.

Has anyone used either of these kits or have experience with fitting etc ??

Would be interested in all comments

Cheers

Terry
terrymusgrove
SSVC Member

Re: 14" stock wheel front disc brake conversion kit choices

by beetleben » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:13 pm
I'll be interested in how you get on with this as I'm wanting to change mine soon. I was thinking http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Fro ... tartPage=1
beetleben

by CHARLIE-DONT-SURF » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 am
Vwbuses used to trade as futbus (google address and phone number). Also check duedil website, futbus had £45k worth of liabilities(debts) according to the website before the company was dissolved/he resigned as director from it.

Know someone who has had/is having problems getting stuff returned from him as he was working full time as a delivery driver for ASDA ( he delivered to another mates house one night!) and was hardly at his unit to arrange an agreeable time to collect it.

Another mate in the trade had a text off him saying he is working full time for a different company now.

I thought I was mates with the owner but the fact that he doesn't answer my letters asking for the best part of £800 I lent him as a mate obviously indicates differently.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/futbu ... 77078.html

Good luck!
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF

by vwJim » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:01 am
If you're considering CSP's...

http://www.vwjim.co.uk/ourshop/prod_291 ... -6470.html

Saves you a bit ££
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by terrymusgrove » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:14 pm
Charlie-don't-surf, many thanks for the heads up. It's a shame to hear about these issues, it looks to be a very good product.

Beetleben, I shall let you know what I end up going for. The way I see it, the wagenswest set is £150 cheaper than the CSPs and also uses willwood calipers which are meant to be very good.

VWJim, I had noticed that you stocked the CSP, either way I am looking forward to getting one of your servos installed alongside whichever system I choose. Would you have any comments on how the CSPs fair against the wagenswest set. Would it be accurate to say the WW Willwood calipers will give me better braking power than the CSP calipers??

All comments welcome
terrymusgrove
SSVC Member

by beetleben » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:30 pm
Is it £150 cheaper by the time you pay import? And the hassle of importing replacement pads and disc whenever you need them. That's one reason I'm gonna be changing mine as I have American discs at mo. Worth noting ssvc members get 5% discount at vw heritage too
beetleben

by Rippers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:48 am
Boxwagen.. Ady doesn't advertise much but been running the kit on my bay for a year now and its great, proper vented discs too under the 14" and it was cheaper then the above prices mentioned. I bought another kit last week to put on my Split.

Rippers
SSVC Member

by vwJim » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:43 am
Do the Boxwagen kits fit on drum spindles or disk spindles?

The customer reported the four pot brakes were better than the CSP's that came off.

I've fitted a few US imported brake kits. They've all been a bit "agricultural" with the machining not as precise as German, some used spacers to push bearings into the correct places. Calliper brackets made from thick steel welded welded together rather than machined ally.
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by Rippers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:32 am
On to drum spindles my bay is a '70, this kit was originally on my split before the bay burst a wheel cylinder on the way to a holiday so swapped them over, only difference between the bay and split was the size of the rear seal.
Considering my bay has no servo they are really good, with a proper servo I bet they are amazing
Rippers
SSVC Member

by terrymusgrove » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:00 pm
The prices given are excluding import tax etc. ideally I would like to support a UK manufacturer, as long as the product is of satisfactory quality and priced well. Rippers I really like the look of your boxwagen kit, your finding the clearance ok on your stock 14" rims? The discs certainly look good, what caliper are you using?

Could be a real contender, especially as the fit to drum spindles, I shall contact Ady and ask for a quote. I shall post my findings for future reference.
terrymusgrove
SSVC Member

by Rippers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:16 pm
No clearance issues at all on the stock 14's, the callipers are brand new modified single pot Ford items.

Done quite a few miles now, loads of shows and Cornwall and back a few time from London and I can't honestly complain about anything other then the brake pad dust through the slots on the wheels :lol:
Rippers
SSVC Member