The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

Le Road Trip

Le Road Trip

by sebuno » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:46 pm
Hi
My name is Seb (Sebastien) and I come from Toulouse, France.
I have a 1966 VW bus since 9 years and I used to use it on week-ends and holidays so as to travel around Europe (Portugal, Spain, France and Corsica).
This bus used to be a panelvan modified by a previous owner (windows and ragtop). I wanted to converted it with original windows frames and samba sunroof (that I've got) but I didn't have enough time to do it.
I made most of the things on the bus by myself : IRS conversion with 8x33 beetle gearbox and 1968 baywindows drums at the rear, 1835 engine, dropped spindles and CSP disc brakes in front. We made with my girlfriend Soizic by ourselves all the furnitures inside including a 12V mini fridge and a RnR bed more or less like a SO42.
We was dreaming since a long time to do a big trip but for us it was impossible to think that we should be able to afford it because we are not millionaires and we didn't win at the lottery. So, in july 2012 we decided to sell all we had in order to afford a one year trip. We sold our 2 modern cars, our furnitures, TV, washing machine, fridge…, and we left our flat we used to rent. By sleeping in the car and cooking inside we saved money.
We really wanted to do this trip with our VW bus because thanks to this car you can meet a lot of nice people all around the world.
Soizic is a school teacher (she teach to students between 9 and 10 years old) and she took a sabbatical year (w/o incomes) and me I used to import RV's (I quitted my job).

The bus :

The 7th of july 2012, I left Toulouse with a journalist in direction of Rotterdam (Netherland) in order to load the bus on a container.

Rotterdam, Netherland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gFbznrNuJc
sebuno

Re: Le Road Trip

by vwJim » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 pm
Where did you ship the bus too?
vwJim
SSVC Committee Member

by boyden » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:25 pm
Looking forward to this thread - what having a bus is all about, using it :)
boyden

by sebuno » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 pm
he he !
You will know tomorrow :D
sebuno

by Reuben » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 pm
Exciting stuff!
Reuben
SSVC Member

by John TC » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:37 am
Much respect Looking forward to this story :D
John TC
SSVC Member

by Reggie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:13 am
Sounds like its going to be a great Le road trip , i'm onboard..
Reggie
SSVC Member

by sebuno » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:09 pm
The 20th of july 2012, we took the plane from Paris to NY (USA) via Iceland.
We initially planned to spend one week in NY then to receive the VW bus but the container had delays so we left NY (too expensive) to go to Quebec in Canada by bus (public bus). We went to Montreal and Quebec city. There we rent a mid class car (Toyota matrix) and we converted it into a campervan (we bought some swimming pool mattresses and some blankets and we drove to Tadoussac to see the big blue whales and to Gaspesie (2500kms in 1 week).
Finally, we received our VW bus the 16th of august in New Jersey port (NY) after 3 weeks delay.
We crossed US from East to West (more than 12 000kms in 2 months). We had been to the Niagara falls, Great lakes, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Salt Lake city & Bonneville (we saw a race), Yosemite, San Francisco, Route One to LA (in order to tune up the engine at Vintage Autohaus before the desert) then Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley & then we came back to LA via the Route 66 in order to load again the bus on a container to the next destination. Thanks to the help of Vintage Autohaus, I swapped my dropped spindles to original spindles with big off road tires. You will understand why soon...

Manhattan NYC, NY, USA

Niagara Falls, On, Canada

Great Lakes, On, Canada

Ste Catherine, On, Canada

Lac Michigan, ID, USA

IO, USA

Mount Rushmore, SD, USA

Yellowstone, WY, USA

Bonneville, UT, USA

Yosemite, CA, USA

San Francisco, CA, USA

Malibu, CA, USA

Las Vegas, NV, USA

Grand Canyon, AR, USA

Monument Valley, UT, USA

Route 66, CA, USA

Ruby's Diner LA, CA, USA

Moon, Santa Fe Springs, CA, USA

Los Angeles, CA, USA

sebuno

by ScottyN » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:21 pm
Wow! Incredible!
ScottyN
SSVC Member

by snapy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 pm
Amazing!!!!!!
To sell up your assets and fund a trip like that takes a brave person, respect to you,

You've achieved what a lot of people would love to do (me included), but most of us get stuck in the rut and rat race of life and are just not brave enough.

Thanks of sharing your epic journey, and to have the memories and diary of your adventures just can't be beaten. 8)

Oh, and by the way ............ Europe next?????
snapy

by Claushema » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:54 pm
Looks great!. I am planning to ship my S042 over someday soon to take my half American/half dutch 8 year old daughter on the same sort of adventure so she can see where she and I come from.

If you are back in France send me a PM. I spend a lot of time at our house near Sancerre.

Thanks for the inspiration

Bon route!
Claushema
SSVC Member

by Max Last » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:06 pm
Excellent! The correct use for a bus 8)
Max Last
SSVC Member

by sebuno » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:17 pm
The transit between Los Angeles and the next destination took more or less 4 weeks. Before to start the all trip we knew that and we had to book the return ticket before to enter US. My dream was to visit Hawaii and Soizic's dream was to visit Japan. I was a little bit afraid to go to Japan because of the living cost. Hopefully we booked cheap flights tickets and we managed to visit both destinations.
We took off the 10th of October to Hawaii, Oahu and we found some couch surfing on a boat in Honolulu, cool ! We spent 1 week their and because it was the end of the end of our 3 months visa we left US to Japan. We spent 1 week in Tokyo and 1 week in Kyoto (in BnB). Off course, as VW enthusiasts, we went to Flat 4 Japan. ;-)

Honolulu, Hi, USA

Tokyo, Japan

Nara, Japan

Kyoto, Japan
sebuno

by wmk168 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:56 pm
Well done both ,you have all our respect.
You have done something we all dream about.
Wish I had your courage .
Our bus came from New York but never think it will go back.But looking at what you have both done I can now say never say never.
Best wishes
Wayne & Julie
wmk168
SSVC Member

by sebuno » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:00 pm
Thanks
:wink:
sebuno