The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

'67 Velvet Green Kombi Preservation

'67 Velvet Green Kombi Preservation

by jason t » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:14 pm
My goal was to preserve this bus as an all original Kombi so this is why I chose to find OG paint bumper pieces etc. Even the front window have the proper dates stamped on them which proves to me they are original to this bus as with all of the windows.

Not to often do you find a velvet green Kombi in this condition let alone any bus that hasn't been restored. There was no bodywork done on this bus after stripping off the old re-spray that was done in 1982. The only minor work was dent repair on the passenger dogleg which is about and inch long, really nothing at all. The original owner decided to respray the van because the original paint was so worn. There are dents and dings that a dent repair technician could remove to make it better but I never went that far.

I have all of the original parts, they we're removed to be cleaned and to make it easier to strip the respray. I was going to clean up the bumpers and add the over riders etc. before re-installing. All of the windows are now installed with new rubber. This bus is missing nothing.

The bus is going to my friends shop to install the battery tray. He is a very gifted hot rod builder and he understands what has to be done to keep this bus as close to original as possible. He has a colleague who is a paint rep who will scan the paint and try and come up with a perfect match then prime and paint the repaired are. We have been throwing the idea around to maybe blending in some paint on the passenger door areas where there was minor repairs.

The bus runs but I would want to give it a tune-up before heading on a road trip.

Parts that I have purchased:

OG Hella fried eggs- installed
Meyle tie rods and drag link- installed
New wheel and master cylinders and brake shoes- we're installed before I got it
completely restored VW spindles with new king pins- installed
4 Koni "red" shocks old school(NOS) - installed
5 new BF Goodrich 7.00r14 bias plies(blackwall from Coker) on original paint wheels and commercial hubcaps(orig. to the bus)
Non-heat seamed front seat covers with horse hair- installed
All new window rubber- installed
All the other rubber(door seals etc)- not installed
OG paint front bumper over riders(right front on the bus was bent)- I have four to choose from not installed
original license plate frames-(Bill Stremme VW-Reno, Nevada)
Front OG paint towel bar(mine has a very minor bend)
Not OG paint rear bumper over riders(right rear was bent)- I have left and right- paint can be stripped
Mint grab handle with end caps with no cracks - OG VW
new Gerson(green stuff) battery tray for '67 van

I purchased the bus from the original owner who used it as a delivery vehicle for his electronics business in Reno, Nevada. It lived in the little building on the left in the picture.

Here is the building now after a restoration- http://www.haberae.com/walker_electronics

The van was repainted in 1982 a turquoise color which is faded in the pic and much of the paint has disappeared since the respray.

This is how it looked when I picked it up.

When I got it home I used oven cleaner to remove the non-original paint. Thankfully it was a crappy paint job so removal only took 45-50hrs;)

The floors are like new, no rust. This was before i stripped the paint off of the dogleg.

Very, very dry bus

Driver(left) rear wheel house

Drivers(left) front wheel house

Passenger(right) front wheel house

Passenger rear wheel house

Behind Passenger front window

Driver window

I then had my OCD friend Victor spend some time on wet sanding and polishing the original paint

The middle and option M-code rear seat we're never used. The owner stored them and re-installed for the sale

I have the 5 original wheels wrapped with new bias ply tires with black-walls with the original commercial grey hubcaps.

Front bumper- all original paint parts. The blade, bumper brackets and LF over rider are original to the bus. All of the hardware is Kamax

Here are pics of the engine bay- still runs an original VW stamped muffler

Still has original door and kick panels

Battery tray has a hole and I do have the correct replacement panel for a '67 from Gerson(green stuff)

link to photobucket for more pics(sorry some are doubles)- http://s250.photobucket.com/user/jasont ... t=3&page=1

jason t

Re: '67 Velvet Green Kombi Preservation

by Biglozzer » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:50 pm
Great work. Bus looks really good. Out of interest which Polish did you use to get that shine up from such old thin paint?
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by NUGGET » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 pm
Very nice original bus 8)
NUGGET

by jason t » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:30 pm
Biglozzer wrote:Great work. Bus looks really good. Out of interest which Polish did you use to get that shine up from such old thin paint?

Here is a quote from Victor's facebook page on what he did to restore the paint.

"1967 VW Typ-2 project completed. Spent no less than 40 hours in the past 2 days with George Chan in wet-sanding and cut-polishing the VW Typ-2 to bring out all the possible shine in the paint/primer/patina. Wet-sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper was followed with a cut-polish with a blend of Menzerna Power Gloss and Super Intensive Polish on a Lake Country light cutting foam pad with my Makita 9227C rotary polisher. Hand application of a blend of Meguiars Ultimate Swirl Remover and Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze eliminated the light machine-induced swirls. Prima Hydro Seal Paint Sealant was applied to lock in the shine. Rubber trims and tires were treats with 303 Rubber Protectant, and all metal trims were polished with Autosol. . I have attached the before, during, and after photos. Thank you to Jason Trentini and Dales Alignment for trusting me anf George with the VW Typ-2."
jason t

by jason t » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 pm
NUGGET wrote:Very nice original bus 8)

Thank you;)
jason t

by Biglozzer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:59 am
jason t wrote:
Biglozzer wrote:Great work. Bus looks really good. Out of interest which Polish did you use to get that shine up from such old thin paint?

Here is a quote from Victor's facebook page on what he did to restore the paint.

"1967 VW Typ-2 project completed. Spent no less than 40 hours in the past 2 days with George Chan in wet-sanding and cut-polishing the VW Typ-2 to bring out all the possible shine in the paint/primer/patina. Wet-sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper was followed with a cut-polish with a blend of Menzerna Power Gloss and Super Intensive Polish on a Lake Country light cutting foam pad with my Makita 9227C rotary polisher. Hand application of a blend of Meguiars Ultimate Swirl Remover and Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze eliminated the light machine-induced swirls. Prima Hydro Seal Paint Sealant was applied to lock in the shine. Rubber trims and tires were treats with 303 Rubber Protectant, and all metal trims were polished with Autosol. . I have attached the before, during, and after photos. Thank you to Jason Trentini and Dales Alignment for trusting me anf George with the VW Typ-2."

Thanks. I don't and can't use Facebook. Very helpful. Thanks.
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by jason t » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:52 am
Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Today I had time to work on the van.

I had a pair of rebuilt spindles with new kingpins that needed to be installed since the original kingpins in the van we're worn. The spindles we're rebuilt by Greg Noble of Noble Transporter Service.

Its wasn't that difficult of a job to do, nothing seized or had to be cut off;) even the cotter pin that is installed in the lower pinch bolt came out easy.

This is the first time I have ever done this type of repair, hopefully I never jinxed myself when it comes time to do the driver's side.

I had my son(10y/o) with me so I only had time to do the passenger side, I will finish up the install on Wednesday.

The front brake shoes and wheel cylinders we're replaced before I owned the van but it looks like the hoses we're never changed. These along with new front hub bearings and seals will be ordered tomorrow.

jason t

by Gatt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:21 pm
Lovely bus dude ,its looks awesome ..

Here's mine 64 original paint velvet green I bought a year ago it's came from aslaka

Gatt

by matt d » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:46 pm
What an amazingly good condition bus. And in the right hands by the look of it.
Please keep the updates coming.
matt d

by jason t » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:50 pm
Gatt wrote:Lovely bus dude ,its looks awesome ..

Here's mine 64 original paint velvet green I bought a year ago it's came from aslaka

Your bus looks sick!! the bumpers are awesome, look like burnt marshmellows;)
jason t

by jason t » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:51 pm
matt d wrote:What an amazingly good condition bus. And in the right hands by the look of it.
Please keep the updates coming.

Thx Matt.
jason t

by Gatt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:19 am
Thanks Jason I'm pleased the way it's all come together . Yeah keep us updated with yours
Gatt

by Tyzel » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:33 pm
Wow!! This bus is amazing, I love it! Def doing it justice for sure. Will be watching this one. Out of curiosity where are you located? Are you in Reno? Greg does nice work and is an awesome guy, those spindles should last a long time.
Tyzel

by 67ben » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:48 pm
Very nice :-)
In my opinion how every bus should be treated ;-)
67ben
SSVC Member

by jason t » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:46 am
Tyzel wrote:Wow!! This bus is amazing, I love it! Def doing it justice for sure. Will be watching this one. Out of curiosity where are you located? Are you in Reno? Greg does nice work and is an awesome guy, those spindles should last a long time.

Thx for the compliments Tyzel

I'm located in a suburb of a Vancouver, Canada.
jason t