The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

67 Velvet Green

67 Velvet Green

by Crooky » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:46 pm
So here she is my 67 Velvet Green and Pearl White OG project. I'm new to this but today I cut my first cab floor :D
My plan is to do this all myself. I know the rules - plenty of pictures - and if I get on anything like Rusty1962 and others I'll be amazed and pretty chuffed. Watch this space 8O
Crooky
SSVC Member

Re: 67 Velvet Green

by wejjy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:16 pm
Good luck with it all mate, and we are here to help where we can! Looking forward to the progress
wejjy

by Gatt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:56 pm
Nice bus dude . Can't beat velvet green for colour on a split here's my 64 og paint but gone back to stick rims now ..

Gatt

by Kitesurfer1683 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:01 pm
Good luck mate just measure twice cut once and stock up on spot weld drill bits. Keep. The pics coming as you get on..
Kitesurfer1683
SSVC Member

by Crooky » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:30 pm
Cheers guys. Gatt I love your bus mate. Great OG paint and good shout with stock rims. Gotta change the tyres on mine and get some hub caps but the 14's are staying as is the ride height. Cab floor ordered today and found myself an OG complete cargo floor so well chuffed. Drill bit shopping tomorrow it is.
Crooky
SSVC Member

by jason t » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:35 am
Nice, Velvet Green for the win;)
jason t

by rusty1962 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:17 am
Hi Crooky, it was nice to get a mention in your first post. Makes me feel quite proud to be inspiring others :cheers:

There's plenty of threads far more technical than mine to assist you - JohnTC, Panman, Monkey, Mark P - to name but a few. They've all been a great help to me.

When I don't know something I just ask and someone answers. Simples :cheers:

Good luck with your bus

Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by Gatt » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:56 am
Thanks crook ! Keep the photo coming dude it's a great looking bus looking forward to seeing the build come together. ..
Gatt

by Crooky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:00 am
So the cab floor is out. I'm looking at step box section replacements, small part of the wheel arch and the odd bit here and there. Thanks to Daaan for just advertising 2 complete arches for half their retail money - result :cheers:

While the cab floor is out I'll be switching to dual cylinder brakes. Not technically OG but safety of the 4 kids and greyhound come first.......oh and my Mrs of course...................

It has been noted by someone with far more knowledge than I that my bus is running a 68 Bay front beam so she's sitting a little high. Ad posted on Wanted section for front beam drum to drum. Stock ride height is really important to me so this has got to be right.

With a surprisingly smooth cab floor removal and while I wait for the arches and new floor I thought I'd set about the cargo floor. This flies in the face of my 'finish one area before you start the next' approach but I believe in keeping the momentum and I had the time so onward and downwards! The entire floor removal was a bit of a dilemma as on the whole it was pretty good but for peace of mind, and as I'm replacing both sills anyway I though I'd just do the whole floor. Sourced myself an OG old unused VW stock cargo floor so well happy :D.

This was a good decision as the cargo door sill, inner strengthener and inner sill all need replacing. While I'm at it I'm going to replace the near side long sill too and inner sill. I also need to replace small sections to both B posts and the bottom few inches of the strengtheners on the near side.

I've removed the cargo floor back to the heater tube so far. I won't lie - cargo floor removal is a back breaker on fairly solid floor - not the cutting but the spot weld removal. The good thing is though it's allowed me to have a good look at the chassis which is solid as a rock so just panel replacement for me.

I've included an action shot. Before you have a go at me for not wearing goggles, I discovered something in the cold unit - I can't wear goggles with my face mask as they steam up! I had three choices - risk my eyesight, risk my throat and lungs or goggle up and grind blind with misty bins Alan Carr style 8O

The eyesight was risked, don't try at home kids, and a decent mask is now on the shopping list.

Next step finish removing cargo floor around heater tube, the long sill and inner before cleaning up and switching back to cab floor installation. This will take a while as I can't weld a tank from a nut, bolt and can of beer like BA. Back soon..................
Crooky
SSVC Member

by Crooky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 am
PS - For the record I'm 16 hours in, excluding tea breaks and idle bus chat and banter. I'll keep this running total after avery update.
Crooky
SSVC Member

by Hongkongphooey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:59 pm
Great looking van & project :D . Just a quick thing if you are doing lots of cutting & welding in there I would suggest some card or something to protect the glass if you are not taking it out, it is amazing how much of a mess weld splat & grinder burn will leave on the glass and it will bug you for ever and it is impossible to fix...
Hongkongphooey

by Crooky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:59 pm
Cheers Hongkongphooey I didn't even think about that. Glass will get new rubbers in course but on the priority list. I'll protect them thanks.
Crooky
SSVC Member

by Hongkongphooey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:01 pm
No Worries, My old bug windscreen felt horrible, was actually happy when it got broken by a stone when driving so I could get a new shiny one that didn't feel like a beach... :lol:
Hongkongphooey

by Gatt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:14 pm
Good work bud
Gatt

by Toe 2 Toe » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:53 pm
All the best with the build, I viewed this twice before realising I couldn't do it justices it needs someone who can do what you are doing!!! Will keep a close eye on it! Have just posted mine in this forum as I picked one up 2 weeks ago!
Toe 2 Toe