The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

59 mango survivor

59 mango survivor

by Martin59mango » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:26 pm
Hi, been meaning to post here for ages. A little bit about me and my bus.
Bought my first split in 1995 a 1965 double cab that had spent most of its life in Teneriffe airport, bought over and registered in UK
Back then everything was shiny, so I followed suit and had a full restoration done, picked up 14 trophys with this in 1996-1997
Moving on I ended up making the tough decision to sell my bus to get a mortgage.

Got myself a T25 to use for shows, but never really felt the love for it, so once settled into mortgage started saving for my Fridolin Fund, anyway saving was going pretty well and was at the point I was actively looking on the samba and throughout Europe. Then my girlfriend (now wife) told me she was pregnant, so a frid would not be practical but another bus would be ok, Green light was on I need to buy a bus before baby arrives or would never afford one.
A few months of searching, missing a few I liked or others that would not sell to overseas I found a bus that ticked all boxes, early 59 so mot exempt, original paint, original interior, never been welded and bags of history.
Martin59mango
-

Re: 59 mango survivor

by Martin59mango » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:35 pm
So this is my new bus
Martin59mango
-

by Martin59mango » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:08 am
So this is how it was found in October 2013, Image
Originally ordered from Wolfsburg and sent to Vancouver to a dealership in British Columbia in 1959, no idea about rest of story until 1963 when it arrived in Colorado, 2-3 years later apparently van broke down and was parked between 2 barns.
Being on a farm apparently after a few months the running gear, engine and box was removed and used on a makeshift rail and was raced round the fields by the owners son.
What happened to bus then is it evolved into a store shed, racking was added on the outside, a chimney was cut in the roof for a wood burner, some thing hit through the side panel of the bus pretty hard, a tree grew in the time it was sat there and pushed the nose cone in, oh and it has a few bullet holes.
The story goes the nose cone was started to sand to paint the shed (bus) but was too much like hard work so they just painted over the rest of the original paint.
Image Image Image Image
Martin59mango
-

by Who.Me? » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:33 pm
You should definitely leave the damage as-is. Tell everyone Wolverine did it.
Who.Me?
-

by Martin59mango » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:48 pm
Damage is all staying, it's part of its history, I love it. Others in my vw club don't really get it.
Martin59mango
-

by NUGGET » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:05 pm
Now that's a bus with loads of character. Love it and a great story, that's one big scar on the long side.
Cool 8)
NUGGET
-

by berpsta » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 am
Very cool everybody likes a mango bus added to the mix all its character in sure it will get plenty of attention, and if your club members don't get it ha hanging with the wrong gang hahahah
berpsta
-