The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

1959 Canadian Mango Microbus project

1959 Canadian Mango Microbus project

by Biglozzer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:20 pm
Bought this bus a couple of months ago. Planning on getting it solid and on the road in next 18 months!
Looked fairly solid but needs the bottom 300mm all round replaced.
Never tackled such a big project so advice gladly welcomed.

How I got it

So made a start this weekend on the cargo floor. Shame as most of the floor is solid but the top hats, outriggers etc are rotten.

Getting there

Floor out.

Been reading and studying all the Ssvc threads to learn and thank goodness for MarkP and Rusty. Both great help of progress pics.
That's enough for today.
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

Re: 1959 Canadian Mango Microbus project

by Karl_F » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:38 am
Good luck mate, loo forward to seeing the updates.
Karl_F
SSVC Member

by WILL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:32 pm
59 Mango :cheers:
WILL
SSVC Member

by Biglozzer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Some help please. When removing the floor from the rear. Do I take all the metal off up to the folded lip on the up slope over the gear box. Seems like it's spot welded from the underside?

Someone has previously started trying to cut the bulkhead out in the past. The lower section has rotted away and again in the past someone has cut a huge hole to fit some sort of additional heater.

So that's where I'm up too today

With a pile of rot cut out.
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by craig_rose » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:37 am
another busben bargain, keep up the good work once everything is out the way that's rotten its a lot quicker building it back up, I would recommend a h scofield for all new panels, I beams, top hats etc, just tack weld everything in until its all in to make sure it all fits, and also might be an idea to brace b and c posts cargo door side befofe you cut the sill off :)
craig_rose
SSVC Member

by rusty1962 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:32 am
Ah, I remember being at this stage. That rear sloping panel is a sod to clean up. I managed to save mine but AHS sell it if needed. My floor panels, WW from memory, didn't come with a return lip for welding to this panel and I had to weld a return on.

Good luck with your build, I'll be watching!

Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by Biglozzer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:02 am
Thanks Craig & Steve
Yes putting a brace accross cargo and bulkhead next weekend to stop and risk of twisting and sinking.
The slopping panel is good so I can keep that but the lip return left under it is hard to remove without damage.
I bought all the chassis rails and top hats etc from Autocraft so I'm happy they should fit and I've managed to source an NOS floor pan for it but not able to examine lip at present as in different location.
It seems the deeper I go the more rust I find so Im glad I decided to replace the lot rather than patch up. It's a long weekend next week so should get a couple of days on the bus and start adding rather than removing!
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by 55bdkombi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:54 am
Good call going for autocraft, no offence to Schofield's or anyone that's recommended them but I've never had a Schofield part fit like autocraft. Get good quality metal to get the chassis and floor sorted and you'll be on to a winner with everything else fitting along the way.
Great bus, looking forward to seeing it progress :)
55bdkombi

by dawerks » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 pm
From Saskatchewan to Twickenham!

Good to see someone giving it love :)
dawerks

by Biglozzer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:42 pm
dawerks wrote:From Saskatchewan to Twickenham!

You got any history?
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by dawerks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:33 pm
Biglozzer wrote:
dawerks wrote:From Saskatchewan to Twickenham!

You got any history?

Yes, it was found in Saskatchewan (a province next to mine) by a guy name Keith/Riff Raff, he brought it back to Alberta. Then listed it for sale on the samba. It was originally delivered to Vancouver (true Canadian bus!) Does it still have it's 'Volkswagen' badge on one of the corners?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... go#6861886
dawerks

by Biglozzer » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:40 pm
That's a great link and good to know the story behind the bus. Explains a lot re the the rot I'm finding on the floor which was in the dirt. Not got any badges on the rear but evidence of holes on offside rear corner by the light. I assumed it was a dealer badge or similar.
[UR Image

L=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Biglozzer/media/79DC8536-71C1-41C5-9D13-2E959D2E55DE_zpsth5vhym3.jpg.html] Image[/URL]

Explains all the corn ears I found in the rusted outriggers then :)

Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by markp » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:44 pm
Hi

Great threat .... A start of another saved bus .... That can only be a good thing

Well done for getting stuck in and I'm please that the old Markp thread it helping :cheers:

Thanks for guiding me to your thread ... I'll be watching from now on
( mp sent with answers )

Keep pushing

Laters

Mark
markp
SSVC Member

by Austin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:53 pm
Nice work so far Loz, good to meet you today. That kind of project would would scare me, but looks like it's all in your stride.
Austin
SSVC Member

by Biglozzer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:17 pm
Managed to do a full day on the bus but don't feel I've got much to show for it.
Got the spot welded lip out from under the rear slopping engine bulkhead panel. Easier said than done without causing too much damage.
Spent hours grinding off all the small spot welds and bits left from floor removal then gave it a cost of red oxide primer to protect it whilst I'm doing other bits.

Usual rust on front of both chassis rails

Marked up

Cut out for welding later

And the other side although I think I'll replace this whole support section later as it is poor in a few places.

So that's it. Not a lot to show for a whole day but I've got all the Autocraft floor chassis panels and a NOS floor so soon be time to start putting some bits back!
Biglozzer
SSVC Member