The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

Things you do for love "her" 1966 bus

Things you do for love "her" 1966 bus

by ArAKern » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:18 pm
Hello et all .

As we have been loitering here for a while now thought I should really start a resto thread.
Life is a funny old game so how it all began...
I have been with my partner for 20+ years and one day having a discussion about life goals she mentions that she would love a camper, found it strange that it had never come up in conversation before. She did no strike me as the Winnebago type and we always had a laugh at the motorhome crowed when camping so I innocently asked "what type of camper" oh one of those old Volkswagen types. My heart sank not a "classic vehicle" remembering back to my youth laughing at the rows of broken down VW on the M5 every time is was "run to sun", right had to kill this idea dead but in a loving caring way... so I rented a LHD splitty for the weekend with the hope of driving Cornish lanes in a left hooker with 50 year old brakes,suspension and only 40ish hp on tap may change her mind.

But you guessed (it was a calculated gamble) she loved every minute of it my fate was sealed.

So we trolled a few the shows to come up with a list of requirements.
1. Must be RHD
2. Must be a pop-top with Dormobile roof
3. walk through would be nice

after about 20sec of goggling I concluded that budget wise we were in the basket case to failed project bracket
so we started trolling looking for a candidate lots of LHD imports for the right money but only serious Mark P / Moler style basket cases in RHD, but we found a RHD that had been partially restored so went to have a look (first mistake did not take a VW expert with us) the guy was restoring it to be his works/advert bus but he had lost his premises and did not have space at the new one. The bus looked sound new cross members some new outriggers new inner and outer valance front looked straight, all shut lines good short + long panel fairly straight and all doors were replacements chassis number matched the V5. The roof needed some work and the cab floor was cut up but replacement panels were there. In short it was in far better state than anything we had seen so we took a punt.

Sorry for the poor photo but we did not take any of the bus being delivered or while it has been sat outside for the last few years.

Promise more photos to keep the resto police happy from now on :D
ArAKern

Re: Things you do for love "her" 1966 bus

by ArAKern » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:19 pm
Heeding the 5P's a new project needs a list:-

1. No bottomless bank account check
2. No lovely double garage or any type of garage let alone one with power,lights or heating check
3. Zero metal work skills check
4. Zero bodywork skills check
5. no idea what I have let myself in for check
what can possibly go wrong... "please remember one mans bodge is another mans best work"

First order of business some sort of garage (quick look at the planning laws) rephrase that some sort of temporary structure.

Well on with the resto was not happy with the under cab chassis cross member so decided to take the cab floor fully out.

The floor is in good shape so wanted to remove it with minimal damage so after much struggling
trying to find the spot welds around the gear stick resorted to the grinder :(

well the inner valance is new but not sure on use of the old valance mounting brackets and the extra metal strips to patch it up. so these have got to go along with the both front sections of the chassis rail as the RHS one has been modified to accommodate a steering box raise may replace the actual steering box bracket section or repair it.

Cross member is a little crunchy so that has to go.

also the handbrake / gear selector bracket need some attention so that came out also.

l was not happy with the strip of angle metal attaching the inner valance to the A-pillar or that the lower A-pillars that have both been replaced did have any closing panels beginning to think that there are no A-post valance brackets :?

after much procrastinating I could not get my head round how he had replaced the inner valance and the outer without removing the front panel but could find no signs of work. so out with the grinder.

Ah now I see the level of craftsmanship get the feeling we will be looking into all previous repairs. :roll:
ArAKern

by ArAKern » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:45 pm
so what do you do when the front panel resembles the surface of the moon.

and you lovely new panel does not match the battered front nose....

I now know why it is called "monkey" in the trade. that lump is over 12mm thick. 8O
Wish these panel were just shot would have taken sec to cut them out but because they were new it took ages to unpick them trying to do as little damage as possible.

Well this confirms my initial suspicions no A-post to valance bracket! Also there is still rot in the A-post....

Now I need some help from the learned masses we need to investigate the A-Pillar so will need to remove more of the nose section. but what is the easier repair?

1, Unpick the OG nose and repair the dents (with my non existent panel beating skills)
2, Use a lower half skin 500mm just above headlamp will remove 90% of damage (but risk warping during welding)
3, Use a front panel skin up to the windows. lower window section has been repaired already.

Thanks for any help you can offer..
ArAKern

by ArAKern » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:59 pm
Finding working in shadow or having my face burned off using a 500w halogen lamp a little tiring
the tunnel is fairly dark this is in midday sun with the camera compensating.

so cut into the resto budget ah much better. :cheers:

need to sort the spares pile that came with it. but nowhere to store them so left in the back of the bus for now.

Another question will the front of the bus support itself if I remove the inner valance please note the roof peek is not in the best of condition. :D

Thanks
ArA
ArAKern

by markp » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:05 pm
Looks fun :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :cheers: :cheers:

Call me buddy we'll have a chat about repair methods

I'll pm you my number bro

cheers

Mark
markp
SSVC Member

by ArAKern » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:38 pm
So taking Marks advice I pealed back a section of the front panel to investigate the at A post.

still not convinced on how far up the rot goes and taking in time and effort to repair the damaged front panel took the decision to replace it
so out with the grinder again...

both a pillars had rot and the LHS had some up by the dash.
ArAKern

by ArAKern » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:52 pm
The previous repair to the inner front panel were not great

Ok not much better but I am happy with it.

Will look at the A pillars next.
ArAKern

by ArAKern » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:02 pm
Cut out the steering box support bracket and set about "un-raising" it.
Much better even happy with my welding no clean up required :cheers:

so much easier to do it on the bench and when the metal has some thickness.
ArAKern

by ArAKern » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:17 pm
Ok time to tackle the elephant in the room this is what comes from buying a bus with no idea what you are looking at...

first a little exploratory cutting...

Ok time to stop messing about get the 9" grinder 8O

some of the bits needs some attention
ArAKern

by ArAKern » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:34 pm
Please need some help!!!

Could anyone please give me the measurements from hole center to hole center for each green line.

So I can attempt to stitch this mess back together :roll:
That or I am going to get some strange looks a Bustfest crawling around under peoples busses with a tape measure.

Many thanks
ArA
ArAKern

by mdsa65 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:53 am
Here you go, Front top 500mm, bottom 470mm, rear top 245mm bottom 215mm or there abouts bit difficult with the shockers on!
mdsa65
SSVC Member

by ArAKern » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:19 am
Many Thanks "mdsa65" for the measurements and the speedy reply! :)

Back to the shed for me.
ArAKern

by White Van Man » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:06 am
Wow, that's some in depth reversal of modifications.Impressive stuff
White Van Man

by ArAKern » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:16 pm
Only have myself to blame should have noticed it when we looked at it :roll:
In hindsight maybe converting a LHD to RHD would have been easier :?:

Oh well onwards and upwards
ArAKern

by ArAKern » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:38 pm
(Did this earlier but forgot to post it up)
wanted to clean up the back of the dash and front of the van ready for primer so time to play with the new toy.
and yes T-shirt and shorts is approved PPE for shotblasting 8)

I was actually very impressed with the setup far quicker than power tools took about 80min spent more time stopping to demist the mask than blasting

The warm air box needs some attention

Coat of primer and seam seal to hide my poor welding.
ArAKern