The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

The Peruvian mountain goat

The Peruvian mountain goat

by fcc » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:41 pm
So it's time to restore this poor ole girl.

She's a 63 kombi and she's had a hard life (as you can see)

Idea being get her solid structurally and mechanically but leave the outside ratty until I have the cash to paint her.

I will try and post as many updates as I can but it's going to be a slow restore, depending on available money and time.

Thanks for looking, wish me luck!!!
fcc

Re: The Peruvian mountain goat

by rusty1962 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:52 pm
Welcome and good luck.

Post lots of photos. I'm looking forward to having another resto thread to follow.

Steve
rusty1962
SSVC Member

by fcc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:10 pm
Little bit of work today. Started to strip the paint. Think a full blast is in order.
fcc

by wejjy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:43 pm
Looks like its had a few custom mods done to it over the years but looks honest enough. Strip and clean discs are really good for removing the paint, you can get angle grinder versions off eBay that are great. Also Starchem Paint Stripper is awesome but nasty stuff, could give that a try too!

Looking forward to following this one.
wejjy

by fcc » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm
I had a spare hour today so I had a look at the exterior modifications!!!

Think I will need a few more chassis parts and panels...
fcc

by fcc » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm
Before and after front panel mods!!

And cargo door sill
fcc

by fcc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:43 pm
A bit of advise needed guys. What indicators would you say would have been original in my bus and what wing mirrors should be fitted? Hopefully the picture of the indicator hole might help. Thanks again
fcc

by fcc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:44 pm
Another pic of the indicator hole
fcc

by fcc » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:59 am
rusty1962 wrote:Welcome and good luck.

Post lots of photos. I'm looking forward to having another resto thread to follow.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I've had a good read of you thread, your bus looks ace. I'm sure I can use some of you tips whilst restoring mine.
fcc

by fcc » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:03 am
wejjy wrote:Looks like its had a few custom mods done to it over the years but looks honest enough. Strip and clean discs are really good for removing the paint, you can get angle grinder versions off eBay that are great. Also Starchem Paint Stripper is awesome but nasty stuff, could give that a try too!

Looking forward to following this one.

I gave the strip and clean discs ago, they work very well and the panel doesn't get hot. I'm still u disused whether to get her blasted or leave the roof as in and just clean the rest of the paint off and clear lacquer it for now.
fcc

by fcc » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:06 am
Few bits from bus fest.
fcc

by fcc » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:05 am
Hi everyone,

I spent a few hours yesterday removing some of the rotten old metal!

The front chassis rails look solid which is a bonus but I think I will need to replace some of the front vertical pieces.

Does anyone know where I can find a detailed chassis diagram which the components are labelled I.e "A" 'B' 'C' pillars???

Many thanks paul
fcc

by wejjy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:21 am
If you have a look on autocraft or schofields they have diagrams that show sections of the bus. I think from memory Schofields number them, but basically the pillars work from front to back A being the front most pillar where the cab doors attach and going from there.

I would follow Rustys build and do it in a similar order or Markp's build as they worked through logically which can help with the order you put panels in.

Will you be welding it all up yourself?
wejjy

by fcc » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:08 pm
wejjy wrote:If you have a look on autocraft or schofields they have diagrams that show sections of the bus. I think from memory Schofields number them, but basically the pillars work from front to back A being the front most pillar where the cab doors attach and going from there.

I would follow Rustys build and do it in a similar order or Markp's build as they worked through logically which can help with the order you put panels in.

Will you be welding it all up yourself?

Thanks for the info mate, I'm sorted now and I ordered more steel.

Yes Im planning on doing all the welding ( I'm a mechanical tech by trade, been a few years since I used a mig. But I'm sure I will pick it up again!!!)

I've been having a read of the other build threads and there's lots of useful info. So I'm sure I I'll refer back to them.

Thanks again for the help

Paul
fcc

by fcc » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:11 pm
She came back home tonight, lovely weather for it!!!
fcc