The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

1959 23 Deluxe

1959 23 Deluxe

by harryvonstacks » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:28 am
So this weekend was mainly spent in the T5 traveling from Devon where i live now to my home county of Essex. Wagon loaded with the essentials the whole family set off at around 1600 on the road trip from hell!
With in 1 hour our six year old was out of films to watch, our four month old was hungry and a non planned stop was needed. This was pretty much the way the 3oo mile journey went and hitting the B and B at midnight lets just say i was an unhappy bear! The only thing keeping me sane was the thought of viewing what i hoped to be our new bus, a 59 23-samba.

0800 a call from joe Le Count saying he was in bound and happy to look over the bus to ease my mind on parting with my children's lunch money for the next 100 years.

Now arriving at the barn in the middle of deepest essex the excitement took hold and i was buzzing like a crack whore on giro day. The doors opened and there it was ............... the samba I've always wanted in a condition i never wanted! to say it was a bit of a shed was an under statement, advert not quite matching the physical bus. Fully restored turned into what i would consider my mate with a screwdriver and a spray can let his 6 year old have a go!
(no offence to previous owner). So after le count crawling in, out under over and watching his face go from horror to surprise i was adamant i was going to walk away as i could not imagine how much money id have to pile into it to get it even remotely near to where i wanted it.

I told the owner i couldn't go ahead with buying it, i was letting my head rule this time, packing the kids back up and hitching the flat bed to the back once more the Wife and Joe began to talk then looked at me with STINK EYE and suggested if we were to pile a little here and a little cash there this bus could be something special in time. thankfully the wife one and after a trip to the bank i was financially lighter than before.

So we bought it!!!!!! our dream bus its here and soon will be going through a long but needed overhaul/resto. I hope you will enjoy watching his progress over the coming months /years

I have to say a massive thank you to Le Count all the late night calls, emails and messages easing my mind about the bus. Genuinely one of the nicest and humble blokes I've met and a font of all knowledge! Joe your a star and a true mucca!
harryvonstacks

Re: 1959 23 Deluxe

by BO JANGLES » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:15 pm
Well done Jay, look forward to seeing it buddy
BO JANGLES

by harryvonstacks » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:39 pm
Mate number sent- give e a bell mucca
harryvonstacks

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:01 pm
First of all, you never said anything about your Essex roots, or it would of been a different story 8O

I'm glad to of helped, and the info I gathered on a 59 was from Geoff (magic8ball) but he's a very shy bloke and gets easily embarrassed so yes, I will gladly take all the credit :cheers: :cheers: as you said Jay, you've got what you wanted and some of the things on the bus could be ironed out in time. Just get that sunroof/headliner booked in and use it. Then get bob to have a look at the paint side of things. Considering what you had before and you got this for the same price :wink:

8) 8) 8) 8)
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member

by type21f » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:27 pm
Do not be taken in by the twang and Glasweegian sense of right and wrong..... despite my misgivings. ..Joe is a real gent...
I've lifted his kilt....Or Wullie. .
As the joke goes nothing is worn under there...it is all in working order..
Mail me Joe about the double door..
I helped him... slightly

He (and biglozzer) helped me..A lot

Even my big Reiver son Gentle Jim Laird of Lauderdale (the character judge) said..
He's a nice guy..Honest and Loyal. ..

G
type21f
SSVC Member

by Le Counte de JAYFOR » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:12 pm
On that note, I forgot to add, my personal advice and opinions don't carry any gaurantees so no come backs please :-)
Le Counte de JAYFOR
SSVC Member