The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

'63 Aussie Container Bus

'63 Aussie Container Bus

by BO JANGLES » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:59 pm
Some of you may have seen this on Facebook , but I reckon here is a much better place to keep the resto thread.
About six years ago I found about about this bus & it took 6 months to get the owner to agree for me to view it, I took along Bigbulli, as its not something you see everyday, so knew he would be interested. I wanted to buy it then , however the owner didn't want to part with it, as he knew, if he let it go, the chances of getting another were very unlikely. Throughout the years that followed I kept in contact with the owner & finally he was up for a deal, typically the time wasn't quite right for me to buy it alone, but my good mate Dick Hindle , who works along side me at Resto Haus, was as keen as I was to take custody, so we decided to buy it as a shared project. We borrowed an old Jeep from one mate & a trailer from another, got the cash together & set off early one morning to pick up our prize.
Its a 1963 Container bus, which was built in Australia for only their market, according to David Eccles only 123 were ever built & its believed only 17 still survive world wide & just 4 in the UK. One was originally used as "Chilli gone barmy", selling Mexican food, which now lives about an hour from us. Another is selling coffee & trades as "The Camper Coffee Co", again based in the west country in Exeter, the 3rd only arrived in this country in March of this year & like ours is in need of restoration & based in Norfolk. Then lastly ours which you'll see in the pictures, is in need of a little tlc, which we will display on here for all to see, though don't expect speedy progress as fitting our own projects in between customers is never easy.
Here is a picture I found from when it was in Oz
BO JANGLES

Re: '63 Aussie Container Bus

by vwJim » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:17 pm
8)
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by BO JANGLES » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:49 pm
This is how I first saw it, it had been stored under here for the last 7 or 8 years
The cab is in pretty good condition
BO JANGLES

by BO JANGLES » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:24 pm
Heres our borrowed recovery rig
Then we had to hook this old truck up to drag it out of its resting place
The rhd semaphore single cab is the sellers brothers daily driven truck, but if you notice our tow rig was in a little trouble , so we had to do some on the spot repairs :roll: :roll:
All sorted & on the way home with our prize
& all tucked up in the storage unit until we can get to work on it
BO JANGLES

by Vwstu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:14 am
Looks cool :-)
Vwstu

by markp » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:37 am
Wow

Excited to see this resto started

Fab find well done for not giving up on it ...... Another split back on the road can only be a good thing

Mark
markp
SSVC Member

by Rippers » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:03 pm
Subscribed 8)
Rippers
SSVC Member