The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

58 RHD Panel

58 RHD Panel

by eastwood » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:08 am
Thought I would start a resto thread for my van
:D

Here it is the day it got delivered 18 months ago!

eastwood
-

Re: 58 RHD Panel

by eastwood » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:12 am
Thought I would treat myself

Converted the front beam to Ball joint
Added a Red 9 Kit
fitted vented CSP front discs

eastwood
-

by eastwood » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:14 am
And finally last night got the motor in and running to go with my neat IRS conversion :wink:

not long till the beast hits the road!

eastwood
-

by Byron Bamboo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:44 am
Great van!!!... what size motor you running...
Byron Bamboo
-

by eastwood » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:49 am
believe it or not I know it looks a fairly chunky motor but whats there currently is a simple 1600 thats had a little tickle with rebuilt 36 Dells and a bit or porting and polishing :D

Its only a temp motor to get me off and running and then I will go bigger.

I have bought all the tricks and toys for the later engine and had all the tinware done ready for the next motor which will probably be a 17776 or something like that, the plans for it are still in the early stages but done all the ground wrok around it ready for the big motor :wink:
eastwood
-

by robmccreedie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:19 am
lookiong sweet can't wait to see the next motor:

eastwood wrote:
next motor which will probably be a 17776

8O 8O :wink:
robmccreedie
-

by thebouncingbunny » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:36 pm
i'm coveting that disc conversion......
looking good,are you doing much to the body or is it all sound?
thebouncingbunny
-

by Byron Bamboo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:12 pm
eastwood wrote:
believe it or not I know it looks a fairly chunky motor but whats there currently is a simple 1600 thats had a little tickle with rebuilt 36 Dells and a bit or porting and polishing :D

Its only a temp motor to get me off and running and then I will go bigger.

I have bought all the tricks and toys for the later engine and had all the tinware done ready for the next motor which will probably be a 17776 or something like that, the plans for it are still in the early stages but done all the ground wrok around it ready for the big motor :wink:

Hey man 1600 in a panel will be cool!... :D
Byron Bamboo
-

by eastwood » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:19 pm
Sorry it mean to say 1776 not 17776

It started well so cant wait to drive it!
eastwood
-

by Mike1973 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:55 pm
eastwood wrote:

Those indicators look familier... :?

Is it an Aussie bus? I've got the same on mine, Hella jobbies, put on in '73 going by the dates on them... They look like something pinched off a Dalek :twisted:

Cool panel, just checked out the rest of your photo's :wink:
Mike1973
-

by eastwood » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:12 pm
your dead right Mike

I took them off as they were are ugly things and mine were wired up with speaker wire!!!!!!

I have doctored my fronts to take leds bulbs as well my rear lights....

Pictures soon
eastwood
-

by Mike1973 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:25 pm
eastwood wrote:
I have doctored my fronts to take leds bulbs as well my rear lights....
Pictures soon

Be interested to see how you get on with them. Keeping the ugly warts for now, but would love to get something that doesn't stand out so much, either '60's looking lucas ones, or do the same as you with LED's.

Or just sticking to fingers up to the modern world and reinstating the semaphores.... 8O :twisted:
Mike1973
-

by eastwood » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:53 am
Mike

Here are some shots of what I have done with the rears. Look a bit complicated but they arent and once they are in its fine, they work really well and give a nice bright red glow round the edge.

The fronts all I have done is drill the original headlamp rims and fix a bulb holder from a us spec headlight then used led front amber bulbs. Then used an LED flasher unit to power the lights.

eastwood
-

by robmccreedie » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:51 pm
very cunning, like it
robmccreedie
-

by eastwood » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:49 am
Started doing the elctrics this weekend, got all the engine bay wiring finished, motors now running sweet all carbs sorted and timing etc spot on :wink:

So then moved onto the wipers, they are now on with an Empi variable voltage gadget so I dont burn out the 6volt wiper motor, its getting there now. Also fitted all new ignition switch, wiper switch and lights switch, just need to put the speedo in now....

Then I started to put on my new tyres and wheels but not sure about the fronts. Had a lot of advice about tyre sizes etc for lowered vans and the fact i have a 1300 IRS box running in a 1600 motor so opted for 185/65 Firestones for the back and 165/50 bridgestones for the front

Havent wound down the front yet so it does look a little wierd I so hope it looks better once its down as I am a little nervous about my choice for the front....

We will see. I am sure it will be fine once its down and I have whizzed it up the road to settle it all as it has been sat like this for a while.....
eastwood
-