The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

My 64 camper Blog

My 64 camper Blog

by orange » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:25 pm
Just started putting this Blog of my van project together, who knows where it will lead. Check it out and let me know what you think. Any advice on the vans restoration will be greatly appreciated, and I hope its gives advice and help to anyone dealing with this challenging task ahead of them.

Paul.

[url]"http://paulssplit.blogspot.com/"[/url]
orange

Re: My 64 camper Blog

by orange » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:29 pm
Link didnt work. try this....

"www.paulssplit.blogspot.com/"

if not you'll have to cut and paste.

Paul
orange

by Scruffvdub » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:46 pm
Here you go fella,

www.paulssplit.blogspot.com/

It would be good to post an ongoing resto on here too... :wink:
Scruffvdub
SSVC Member

by edmundro » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:12 am
if thats yer van in the avatar then you gotta keep that pait man, looks wild!
good luck with the bus :D
edmundro

by orange » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:23 pm
Cheers for sorting the link scruffvdub, will post some picts on this message when i get time.

The paint job was for a 60's fancy dress party, I got a bunch of mates together and used poster paint from the early learning centre, it was great fun, but it only lasted the weekend because of the rain. Ill put some better pictures on the Blog.

Paul.
orange

by orange » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:15 am
This is my first van/bus/brick/camper, bought it in 92 when i was 19, had it on the road for 5 years before started taking bits apart. Heres a couple of photos of the van before and after its recovery from being stuck in a damp garage for 10 years, It has always been in the back of my mind to get the restoration fully underway but other things have always taken priority. But now with the power to my garage, and a bit of money saved i can finally get the restoration started.

Not sure where to start so im going from the front back
orange

by orange » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:31 am
Tried to split then weld the seam up on top of the 4 piece dog but ended up warping it. Learning the hard way. Before I try and source another panel I may try to cut and weld it again. Any one know where to get a better panel than from Schofields?

A piller tacked on for front valance and wheel arch trial fit, not sure what to do about the holes under the door seal carrier?

Check out my blog for more picts
orange

by orange » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:20 am
After a couple of weeks out of the garage ive managed to get back in there and got the welder to work.
Found every thing taking me twice as long as i expect, so the van could be ready by 2010
more photos on the blog below
orange

by orange » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:04 am
In between studying and house hunting (Found a double garage with 3 bed semi at the end of the garden)Ive managed to get a few more hours in the garage.
The Left hand lower A piller is now ready to fit the inner valance, although I ended up cutting away more of the cab floor than i wanted to.

The inner valance was then clamped and welded

And these are a couple of peices ive taken from the orignals and bent up to join the valance to the pillers
orange

by orange » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:34 am
heres what ive been up too.

got a set of scrap 924/944 front hubs and aluminium rear swing arm. thats the easy bit i now need to get them to fit with a decent set of calipers.

Heres a comparasion of the front spindles

with the porsche hub fitted you can see the gap behind the disc, this will be taken up with a spacer at the inner bearing, Im still working out the size and shape
orange

by paulbugman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:01 am
cool van ,did you always live around sutton as remember a guy who had a white split just off collingwood road as i had my 58 green split then , always wondered if he still had it ,is it you ?
paulbugman
SSVC Member

by orange » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:58 pm
did you always live around sutton

Hi yep lived in and around sutton most my life, The vans been tucked away in a garage here for over 10 years before i finally got started on it.

Did you stop by in your van just after paint with only one side cut and polished? that was the only van I ever saw localy, except a blue and white camper hidden behind some broken garage doors in worcester park, guarded by a grumpy old bloke.
orange

by Biglozzer » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:45 pm
Orange cool Blog....nice one keep it going ... 8)
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by paulbugman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:43 pm
no not my van but if you are the right paul my dad worked at british aerospace and i`m sure you did as well and that how i met you , long time ago you were having a run of blowing engines up at the time , could be different person
paulbugman
SSVC Member

by orange » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:38 am
Ahh now I think I remember,Did I borrowed a pair off wheels off you to get my van through a MOT. Now working at Heathrow with Pete Reed who had the blue 70s bug just down the road from you. Still blowing engins every now and then Ill explane more on my blog. catch you later.
orange