The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

My 1960 split, off to absolute vw for finishing

My 1960 split, off to absolute vw for finishing

by Karl Rowntree » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:35 pm
Hi all

Only just joined the site and joined the club at vanfest last year so yet to meet any of you, hope to get my van on the road by may so will hopefully make the show season in her.

Purchased from Phil at Buswerks in Cornwall last year, she is a cal import and was in pretty good condition altough missing the majority of main parts. It came as a shell with a straight axle kit already fitted and all the glass present. Apart from that it was bare.

I have since fitted a standard 1.6 engine, complete new 12v loom including a NOS indicator arm arm/switch, wiper motor and all new switches. Full seals kit, new mirrors and trim etc, new cables. The list goes on...

Trying to use majority of original parts and working on renewing all the major mechanics first and will concentrate on the cosmetics maybe next year. Next up is to convert to dual circuit brakes and T2D have just quoted me on a beam refurb with dropped spindles. Bought it to keep long term so should hopefully be up to my usual fussy standards soon :wink:

Will get some progress pics up soon and will keep it updated as i progress, hopefully with an MOT soon...

Thanks for reading

Karl
Karl Rowntree
-

Re: My 1960 split, off to absolute vw for finishing

by 686 bus-boy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:40 pm
Welcome chap! 1960-good year that!! :wink: Shweet ride,enjoy. 8)
686 bus-boy
-

by vwbuzzers » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:59 am
welcome buddy hope to see more :wink:
vwbuzzers
-

by jammytask » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:51 am
Welcome, it's a great club with loads of very switched on folk to help you along. Nice looking van by the way.

Chris
jammytask
-

by Gnarly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:48 am
Nice bus, we want more pics :wink:
Gnarly
-

by Karl Rowntree » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:57 am
Cheers guys, trying to get my head round work at the mo but will post up my progress so far tonight.

Got hold of quite a few bits a Dubfreeze and worked late last night fitting them all so hopefully should be running by the weekend..
Karl Rowntree
-

by Karl Rowntree » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:01 pm
Here's a few of how it looks today, will post up some of the before pics later tonight :wink:

Getting there now i hope! Cant wait to drive it...

Karl Rowntree
-

by 211vanman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:05 pm
nice bus would love to see at msbm :lol:
211vanman
-

by Karl Rowntree » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:52 pm
Hi all

Well after 2 years of doing the odd bit to my split, ive sent it off to Simon at Absolute VW for finishing. Hopefully the work i have done so far is ok and it wont be too much of a knightmare for the guys. Time and money has meant it has not be finished yet, but after recommendations about his work ive decided it will be best for him to get it completed and hopefully MOT'd!

Take a look at the Absolute vw blog to see what she looks like, will keep you all posted on the progress. Cant wait till i finally drive it!!

Thanks for looking.

Karl
Karl Rowntree
-

by acmecustom » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Very nice looking bus there mate... Shouldn't take too much till your out driving by the looks of it... So best of luck... :wink:
acmecustom
-

by Split-Lee » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:22 pm
Looks awesome! Won't be long till your out driving it! :D

~Lee
Split-Lee
-

by Karl Rowntree » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:23 pm
Thanks mate, fingers crossed Simon shouldnt have too much work to do. Really cant wait to drive the old girl, 2 years and 6 months in the waiting...

Maybe see you cruising round Newquay one day soon, holiday is booked for August and thats our final destination.. Hopefully!

Karl
Karl Rowntree
-

by 211vanman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 pm
Karl Rowntree wrote:

Maybe see you cruising down to the MSBM ?

Karl

:lol:
211vanman
-

by Karl Rowntree » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 am
:wink: Count me and my girlfriend Sarah in for Julys meet. Is it held on the toys r us carpark just off the m5 mate? What time do you all meet? Splitty wont be done by then but will pop along in a clio if that ok...
Karl Rowntree
-

by 211vanman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 pm
Karl Rowntree wrote:
:wink: Count me and my girlfriend Sarah in for Julys meet. Is it held on the toys r us carpark just off the m5 mate? What time do you all meet? Splitty wont be done by then but will pop along in a clio if that ok...

great to see you there we meet around 7 ish come and say hello to me daz
211vanman
-