The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

52 Samba

52 Samba

by lowdown dirty rat » Fri May 23, 2008 8:04 pm
Right, I think I’ve just about recovered enough to introduce you all to my new X-treme project. But first of all I’ll explain the nightmare I went through collecting it.

The bus was in central Finland. But the first nightmare was caused by the exchange rate. The day I had to change my Euros the rate hit the worst point EVER in it’s history :roll: . Me and a friend had then planned on driving the mammoth two way trip with my car and hire trailer in tow. The ferries were booked, I had the time off work and drove all the way to my mates house in the south east ready to board the ferry. Only here did I learn he could no longer go, an emergency at work. I was left up .... :cry: . I didn’t have enough time off work to drive it alone so I had to loose my ferry tickets and other expenses and head back home. Fortunately the owner was understanding as I had promised to collect it soon.
So, phase two was initiated. This time I would fly out and buy a 92 single cab syncro with the samba already loaded on and drive straight back from the airport. The Syncro was a dailey driver and a great looking bus. Then disaster number two struck. Literally hours before my first flight was to leave I received an email from the seller saying on the drive over to his house to load up the single cab the cab had broken down. 8O :evil: . With too much already organised I said I would still fly out and try and sort something out his side. 8O :?
So to cut a long story short, over the next few days costs continued to increase as I stayed in unplanned hostels, hotels and had to eat. The single cab was frantically trying to be fixed. In the end it was worse so we started looking for another vehicle. Apparently usually VERY easy to locate in Finland we couldn’t find one anywhere :roll: . Just a few overpriced double cabs. After an especially bad day when I ended up in Helsinki only to find out all hotels completely full and having to pay to sleep in a field in only a sleeping bag (I had no tent) and then it rained :roll: , I found myself looking at return flights home. All now very expensive, I decided I was not going to let the dream die and brought a cheap standard double cab we had just found.

The double cab was ratty but pretty dry and seemed to run well. But it was a double cab so we had to extend the bed and cut off the samba front. This wasn’t as drastic as it sounds as the windows pillars were pretty rusty. I also loaded up a lot of spare parts the guy had and eventually got to head off.

Broken Taillights

An old photo on the ferry.

The T25 handled great and was a great little trooper. I managed the 2500mile drive to the French coast in just 38 hours :D . Even though my ferry room mate was a worse case scenario snoring monster of a man :( , and the police stopped me from driving at night in Germany because my rear lights were out. (they worked when I left and it wasn’t a fuse or bulb :? ). Anyway, after another random German police stop, this time for identity cards. I got 30 miles from Calais and BOOM! I think I may have pushed her a little too hard. The big end was gone and had sent the piston through the casing. 8O :cussing: :cry: Finding out it was a French/Belgium bank holiday and it would cost €500 to just get towed off the highway :o . I managed to get a holidaying Brit to tow me of the highway using one of the sambas straps, but in the end had to fork out €200 to get recovered to the ferry. Now after midnight when I arrived I was still 350 miles from home and properly buggered. I slept in the cab, then in the morning pretended to be my friend who has personal breakdown recovery and managed to get recovered home. Result :P . The save in petrol possibly making up a bit of the towing cost in Europe.

Broken. So near but so far.

British tow truck 1
British tow truck 2
British tow truck 3

Thinking that was it I was finally home I must have relaxed and all the stress of the last week hit me and I got very ill :roll: :banghead: . Now a bit better I have to sort out some storage and actually start the huge project ahead. I just hope that goes a bit easier then the collection.
lowdown dirty rat

Re: 52 Samba

by Sooty » Fri May 23, 2008 8:25 pm
Holy sh17 fella....... that is just the ultimate respect!! Don't know if your crazy or just too in love with your dubs! But hat off to you!!

Be great to see developments!!! 8)
Sooty
SSVC Member

by kev mc » Fri May 23, 2008 8:30 pm
8O 8O 8O blimey, great story. good luck and look forward to seeing this progress :wink:
kev mc

by Doc » Fri May 23, 2008 8:33 pm
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
wow!
Is there anything of the bottom half left? VIN plate?

I think you are completely crazy but massive respect to you for giving it a go.

Hurry up and get going on it, I'm sitting here with my popcorn ready to watch :happy1:
Doc

by bigbulli » Fri May 23, 2008 8:33 pm
were not worthy 8O 8O 8O
bigbulli
SSVC Member

by Eternal Optimist » Fri May 23, 2008 8:38 pm
Good grief - great story. The resto will be straightforward compared with the road trip...
Eternal Optimist
SSVC Member

by dottie the bus » Fri May 23, 2008 8:38 pm
F**k a pig 8O
dottie the bus

by Sooty » Fri May 23, 2008 9:03 pm
dottie the bus wrote:F**k a pig 8O

Think i'd prefere to do that, than take on that resto!!!!! :roll:
Sooty
SSVC Member

by Mike1973 » Fri May 23, 2008 9:43 pm
Now that's a cool Doublecab 8) 8) 8)

Great story, one to tell the grandkids in years to come! 8O :lol:
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by SplitBusVanatic » Sat May 24, 2008 12:10 am
I love it..
best of luck with the resto...
:P
SplitBusVanatic

by mossie69 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:13 am
8O 8O 8O
mossie69

by vwJim » Sat May 24, 2008 9:21 am
8O that's the easy bit over and done with..... Good luck with the rest of the project...
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by Sooty » Sat May 24, 2008 10:37 am
Mike1973 wrote:Now that's a cool Doublecab 8) 8) 8)

Great story, one to tell the grandkids in years to come! 8O :lol:

Hell, with the resto needed on that, it'll be the grandkids telling their grandkids!!!!
Sooty
SSVC Member

by EYEBALL-PAUL » Sat May 24, 2008 11:01 am
8O 8O Best get Paul Wisk on the blower !! Be great to get that ol' girl back on the road, just needs a little tickle here and there. Hats off guys .
EYEBALL-PAUL

by WILL » Sat May 24, 2008 11:38 am
Massive respect, but you are mad 8O

Hope the resto and final result go well for you 8)
WILL
SSVC Member