The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

61 Kombi - Getting bits together for the Interior

61 Kombi - Getting bits together for the Interior

by andy f » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:32 pm
Well, I've made a start at last...I'm waiting to "Aquire" some steel box section so I can make a rottisserie / Chassis roller. But in the mean time I decided to take the front panel off, mainly so I can treat and clean up all the metalwork behind the panel.
Did put a post up asking for a bit of advice on the best way to do this and I've decided to go for the option of cutting through the outer skin of the windscreen pillars.

Mainly because where the bottom of the screen meets the top of the front panel, the only way I could find the spotwelds is to bend the metal up. Which then left creases / ripples in it.
So after removing 5 spot welds down each side of the A post and then seperating and removing the welds of the lower front screen it all came away quite nicely.

The front panel itself is certainly re-useable, needs a repair section to the bottom and some repair work to the headlight bowls. And a bit of panel beating to the centre.

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

Re: 61 Kombi - Getting bits together for the Interior

by A67 MAN » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:50 pm
Looking good Andy...where does the bus originate from & don't say germany :wink: :lol: might know where there is a "rottisserie" for sale if you don't have the time to build one :wink:

keep us posted on updates
Ian :D
A67 MAN
SSVC Member

by andy f » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:20 pm
Hey Ian, Scott from VW Classics got it for me from South Africa. As for the rottiserie.....I've got plenty of time cos I ain't got no money for panels at the mo!!! :(
Cheers anyway mate.

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by scott wilson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 pm
andy..i`m gobsmacked..you certainly are going the whole hog. Looks nice and clean behind there though.
scott wilson

by Rusty Lee » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:40 pm
START AS YOU MEAN TO GO ON MATE LOOKING GOOD KEEP IT UP. :D
Rusty Lee
SSVC Member

by andy f » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:42 am
Cheers all, yeah I was very pleasently surpried when I got the front panel off, mainly dust and surface rust, I've rubbed it all down and treated it with Metal Ready, need to save up for the lower front bits, valance etc ( hopefully should be able to get them with this months pay ) and then start on the cab floor and front chassis area. Got a few pics but was waiting to get a bit more done before posting them up.

Hopefully I should hear on the metal for the rotisserie this week, so that will be good if I can get that made.

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by andy f » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:46 pm
Well it’s certainly about time I updated what’s been going on with the project. It’s been a bit frustrating and I lost heart a bit lately. But I’ve been waiting 15 years to get the bus so I’m not about to give up on it!!

I think it’s taking so long because I’m trying to do it right, do the bus justice, not just scrap bits, but try to salvage them, and then just some things just seem to take for ages.

So looking back over the months, the first thing I did was to cut off the front panel. The inner and outer valances were shot as to were the bottom of the A Posts. I got the Klassic Fab panels as most places only seemed to do the Left hand drive inner valance which they said you could make fit !!!!

Once all the welding is done I'll be rolling the bus over and cleaning up all the underside and painting it.

I’ve had to drill out ALL the screws that held the Cargo doors in place, they just wouldn’t budge, but I managed to drill them out ok and then run a Tap ( or is it a die ) just to clean the threaded back plate.
Same again for the rear hatch screws, again they all needed drilling out and a tap run in to clean……and funnily enough the same for the engine lid.

Thankfully there all done now and all ok.

I’ve repaired the hinges on both cab doors, did a little “how to”. Hopefully will be of use to other people!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48330

Using some wrong formed parts I’ve repaired the drivers side wheel arch. Still got the passenger side to do.

I did weld in some new pieces on the long sill, but since doing that I’ve decided to replace the whole section with a 7” repair. That may be going on mext weekend. There were quite a few dents down the long sill plus I noticed that the inner sill needs a reapir so I thought I may as well just replace the outer completely.

Had a bit of trouble with the Cargo door sill. When I put the new inner sill in place it was all a bit out, wouldn’t line up staright with the top hat sections and the I sections,
Got a bit of advice of the forum and some pics , so It’s all tacked in place and looking ok.

The Passenger door is low at the b post end, hopefully when the passenger side floor is in place it will support the A post and bring the door in line.

The sill will be spot welded along the bottom

That's about it for now.

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by scott wilson » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:43 pm
whats new andy...?
scott wilson

by andy f » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 pm
Hey mate, not a lot I'm afraid, in fact just got back from down the garage.........first time I've been working on the bus since before crimbo :( ....just getting back into it now, ( taking me time and trying to do it right ) be back to full on at the weekend :wink:
Been doing a lot of day dreaming about when it's finished tho :D
andy f
SSVC Member

by scott wilson » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:29 pm
sure buddy.Leave the bikes alone!looking forward to seeing this done some time soon. To think it almost got cut up ey?Thanks to south africa power suppliers it`s still in one piece( don`t ask it`s a long story)
scott wilson

by andy f » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:47 pm
Yeah, I know this is one of the lamest resto threads on here, but I allways forget to take the camera down the garage before I do any work !!!
I'm very pleased with how bits are coming along, Replaced the pins on the cargo door hinges and have now finished ( all but a bit of grinding down some welds ) the cargo doors.

The Sill / Cill (?) is fully welded in, as are the B and C post repairs.

Got the floor repair in as well, still got a small repair towards the back of the floor area to do.

I think the only panel I've got left to buy is the N/S outer Wheel arch skin, I don't want to put the Nose panel back on till I have that, as I want to make sure it all fits ok.
So panels left to weld in.... N/s cab floor repair, outer front valance, Front (Nose) panel and the repair for the front panel. Hopefully with these nice evenings should have the panels welded in soon.

Well the title said it was only a 3 pic update !!!

Oh, done the short Sill repair as well, and the long sill has been cut off, and just waiting for me to weld the new one in. :wink:

Tha tha tha that's all folks.

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by andy f » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:51 pm
I can tell your all rivited by my 3 pic update so here's another for what got done at the weekend :D

Had a pop out window with some serious rust issues but had a good half to make it good.

Made good the rear valance.

And got the long sill welded in.

I also finished patching in some repairs on the cargo floor and.......that was it.

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by moler » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:28 pm
There must be a good caption for this pic...

...keep up the good work dude 8)
moler
SSVC Member

by scott wilson » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:29 am
nice engine :roll:
scott wilson

by andy f » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:07 am
moler wrote:There must be a good caption for this pic...

scott wilson wrote:nice engine :roll:

Bring it on boys, bring it on :wink: :D :D
andy f
SSVC Member