The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

First bus project 62 11 Window

First bus project 62 11 Window

by PIPKIN » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:49 pm
Here we go have been plucking up the courage to dive into the project.

Just been sitting and looking for a couple of weeks figuring out where to start and the front is a good a place as any. Some work had been started on the front, bottom cut off ready for the usual panels, inspection showed a need to cut the floor out.

Loads of old repairs that just dont fit my view that if your restoring it needs to be as close as VW intended except a few of the usual obvius improvements.

Pics of what I'm up against

Starting work on the chassis rail ends

Knocked up a couple of templates to cut and fold the 2mm steel plate

More to come when I fire up the mig

Cheers Paul
PIPKIN

Re: First bus project 62 11 Window

by robmccreedie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:15 pm
good work, looks like another skilled homebrew resto thread coming up :D
robmccreedie
SSVC Member

by andy f » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:59 pm
Great start, they like a good bit of home fabrication on here...
Keep up the good work.
andy f
SSVC Member

by Rusty Lee » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:59 pm
off to a good start keep it up mate
Rusty Lee
SSVC Member

by PIPKIN » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:11 pm
Progress has begun first repair finished and given a heavy couple of coats of Electrox (galvanising in a tin).

Look out for updates. Tackling the gear lever mount and other chassi rails over the weekend.

Paul
PIPKIN

by bananasplit » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:45 am
Pics of what I'm up against

i can see what you up against,i d find it hard to work with a glass of champers in my hand as well! :lol:

looks good

keep it up

russ
bananasplit

by PIPKIN » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:35 pm
A little update on the progress so far.

Have completed the fabrication and repairs to the ends of the chassi rails.

Fabricated a replacement panel to be welded in. have not made it exactly as original but its much better than the rust I cut out.

Started on the repairs to the headlight support unit.

Oh and recieved a little consignment of metal.

can anyone tell me how to remove the heater tube section with the control slide in, without cutting it up of course?

Anyway will be hibernating in the garage for the next couple of months. Narrowing front beam and rebuilding the front end for the sunny weather.

Cheers Paul
PIPKIN

by moler » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:25 pm
Some good fabrication dude, I had the very same panel to fab up for mine...

...the heater tube section with the control slide in, usually just has a small run of weld in a couple of places, trying getting in with a hacksaw blade to cut through, I was lucky with mine as I had removed the front panel.

Keep the updates coming

:)
moler
SSVC Member

by Rusty Lee » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:24 pm
good work fella
Rusty Lee
SSVC Member

by PIPKIN » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:33 pm
Cheers Dudes

Progress has been charging on recently, nearly completed the repairs to the headlight support panel.

Looks like I'll be treading water for a while as i need to source an A Pillar repair section for the righthand side so i can assemble the front section.

Anyone got one kicking about??

Cheers Paul
PIPKIN

by PIPKIN » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:01 pm
A little progress report, the work has now really begun, all metal purchased for the front end and most of the cutting out has been completed.

New side plates welded onto the front beam in preperation for a 3 inch narrowing job. Just need a little time at work without being disturbed to turn up new bushes for the torsion tube/trailing arms and some steel collars for the grease seals on the trailing arms. Planning on sand blasting for sprayed electrox and black chassi paint.

This is the current job of getting the bulkhead back to good condition. Repair panels via Schofield's have cut down the fabrication time although I do have to create the curved sections and a few infill panels. Photos to follow tomorrow of the work completed tonight.

Have cut the dash from all the support sections and completed some local repairs, A little to do before being welded in, radio cut out needs a minor repair and a few dents to be planished out.

I'm getting the feeling that restoring a splittie is like being addicted to crack. You always want to be in there. Lets hope it snows enough to stop me getting to work and allows me to have a day in the garage.

More pics tomorrow.

Cheers Paal
PIPKIN

by PIPKIN » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 pm
Hip hip hurray it has snowed enough for a couple of hours in the garage, so heres the results.

Formed a couple of repair panels and welded in. Need to grind and smooth ready for seam sealer, etch primer and stone chip.

A repair panel needed for this repair to the seat support panel.

Awaiting some repair panels to complete the repairs to the bulkhead. Salvaged wheel well with off cuts should allow me to complete the bulkhead and then its full speed ahead with sorting the A pillar.
PIPKIN

by Dai » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:53 am
Hello mate, looking good! 8) Whats the history of the bus, what country is it from? The rust looks like its been in the UK for a fair while, its that 'kind' of rot!

Ive got your bits mostly packaged, i'm better with a grinder than cardboard and tape, not as easy as it looks!! :lol: Will get them off when I have bought more parcel tape! 8)
Dai
SSVC Member

by lambrettatastic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 pm
thats my old bus!!
lambrettatastic

by PIPKIN » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:24 pm
I think the bus has a Swedish origin, driver and cargo doors on the same side. No idea why this was done or when it was imported into the country.

Its had some work done already, new cargo floor and chassi rails etc. as you can see from the photos it needs quite a bit of work up front and the rear needs alot of attention.

Taking it as a 3 year project, front this year, rear next year and then paint the final year.

Cheers Paul
PIPKIN