The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

The Marmite bus. Safari Windows. Roll on Summer!

The Marmite bus. Safari Windows. Roll on Summer!

by mclarni » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:57 pm
Thought i'd show you my new ride :cheers: . Haven't got it yet :( but it is on a container ship somewhere in the Atlantic heading for Thamesport.

It's a 1963 Walkthrough Kombi (originally a panel van), but as you can see has been converted to be a camper. (Unfortunately they also felt they needed to convert the rear wheel arches to fit those ridiculous rear wheels and tyres!)
I found it on Car & Classic website and made an offer I thought would be laughed at. (which was reluctantly accepted! :lol: )

This was back in mid August 08. (What feels like eternity now :cry: ) Has anyone else had any dealings with a company called Interglobal Logistics? Seem to be one of the most un-reliable companys i've ever had to deal with! :evil:

I should take delivery of it in about 2 weeks time and can't wait. I've had a Beetle for about 10 years now but camping isn't quite the same in that and can't wait for the luxury (compared to a bug) of a campervan.

I also managed to get a Westfalia interior out of a Vanagon thrown in for an extra £100. Not sure how much of it i'll use but i'm sure i'll be able to sell whatever I don't (good ol e-bay).

That's about where i'm at now. Hoping that it'll turn up in one piece as I bought it so I can begin what I want to do with it. (Put the arches back to how they should be for starters!)

Check out Naher-dran.net (google it and translate page) to see the company I bought it from. Very very helpful people indeed. (unlike interglobal logistics!!)

Cheers
Nick.
mclarni
SSVC Member

Re: The Marmite bus. Safari Windows. Roll on Summer!

by mclarni » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:51 pm
Oh yeah. The seat base is the only thing that's missing on the interior. It's a Westfalia like in the pic below. 3/4 bed.
mclarni
SSVC Member

by mclarni » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:53 pm
Anyone know where i'd be likely to find one? Or at least the specs for it so I could build my own.
Thanks.
mclarni
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:00 pm
i know i may be bucking the trend but please keep the phat rear wheels and arches, just lower/ rake the front down a bit and a few custom flames then you will have a cooler than cool 70's splitty hotrod.
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by mclarni » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:46 pm
vwbuzzers wrote:i know i may be bucking the trend but please keep the phat rear wheels and arches, just lower/ rake the front down a bit and a few custom flames then you will have a cooler than cool 70's splitty hotrod.

I had considered keeping them. If just to have something a bit different from the current scene. Have only seen one in the U.K with cut rear arches. A heavily modified rat-look split. It was at Brighton Breeze 07. Here's the link to a pic I found.
http://flickr.com/photos/finkangel/1460 ... otostream/

Anyone else got any thoughts on if I should keep the phat wheels?

Nick
mclarni
SSVC Member

by silversteve » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:11 pm
mclarni wrote:
vwbuzzers wrote:i know i may be bucking the trend but please keep the phat rear wheels and arches, just lower/ rake the front down a bit and a few custom flames then you will have a cooler than cool 70's splitty hotrod.

Nick

get rid and be a sheep like everyone else, baaaarrrrrrrr :wink:
silversteve
SSVC Member

by vwbuzzers » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:41 pm
mclarni wrote:

I had considered keeping them. If just to have something a bit different from the current scene. Have only seen one in the U.K with cut rear arches. A heavily modified rat-look split. It was at Brighton Breeze 07. Here's the link to a pic I found.
http://flickr.com/photos/finkangel/1460 ... otostream/

Nick

yeah love that van it's been in the scene a few years and is very very well known. There are a few others and i love em all.
vwbuzzers
SSVC Member

by mclarni » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:01 pm
Just got an update on where my Split is. It's in the Atlantic about 700 miles from the U.K. :cheers:

But have just found out that because the original boat, (Stuttgart Express) was delayed so long, that now it is going to Antwerp 8O first, being unloaded, being re-loaded onto another ship (Charleston Express) and is then heading to Thamesport with an arrival date of 14th November 2008! :lol: :lol: 8) :lol: :lol:

Hopefully this will all be on time and I will be able to pick it up the following week. :) And have it in my driveway by 22 November latest. 8)

mclarni
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:26 pm
Cool ass ride fella!!! rake the front and ride it!

Hope all goes well when ypu pick it up.....

Look forward to your future posts....
Sooty
SSVC Member

by mclarni » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:32 pm
Sooty wrote:Cool ass ride fella!!! rake the front and ride it!

Cheers Sooty,

Have been dealing with Mark at Kingstown. You were right, extremeley helpful people! He's arranging for the container to be opened when i'm there. (Camera & Smirnoff at the ready :wink: )

Looking like Monday or Tuesday next week. Can't wait. Starting to lose sleep already. :cheers:
mclarni
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:36 am
mclarni wrote:
Sooty wrote:Cool ass ride fella!!! rake the front and ride it!

Cheers Sooty,

Have been dealing with Mark at Kingstown. You were right, extremeley helpful people! He's arranging for the container to be opened when i'm there. (Camera & Smirnoff at the ready :wink: )

Looking like Monday or Tuesday next week. Can't wait. Starting to lose sleep already. :cheers:

Great news!!!!!

Lets hope it doesn't need the same work as mine...... check out my updated thread!!!! Gulp!!!!!

Post pics when you get it!!!!
Sooty
SSVC Member

by mclarni » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:31 pm
The big day is looming! :D
Trailer hooked up to car
All documents required in folder ready to go and a camera to get lots of pics
Tools, spare battery, jerry can with fuel all ready in car
Alarm clock set for 5:30a.m
Be ready to leave 6:30a.m sharp for trip to go and collect my new vehicle!!! :cheers:
One long night remaining. :bounce: (Probably won't be getting much sleep!)

Look out for pictures tomorrow evening!

Nick
mclarni
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:45 pm
good luck with ya trip out tomorrow nick hope everything goes well for you look forward to seeing some more pics soon!!

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

by mclarni » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:06 pm
berpsta wrote:good luck with ya trip out tomorrow nick hope everything goes well for you look forward to seeing some more pics soon!!

Sean

Cheers Sean :cheers:
mclarni
SSVC Member

by Split-Lee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:12 pm
Ohh exciting! Hope everything goes well!

Can't wait to see some more pictures!! :)
Split-Lee
SSVC Member