The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

THE 'jellibus' resto - Want a new interior for your bus?

THE 'jellibus' resto - Want a new interior for your bus?

by jellibus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:25 pm
Hi guys n the odd gal (not a gal who is odd, but just in case there are any gals looking)
It's getting f*****g cold in the garage and I need some motivation, so here's some piccy's

By the time these photos were taken I'd already replaced both front wheel arches and the long o/s sill. Nothing too major compared to some projects on here :lol: but required replacing. I did continue to use the bus for a season like this 8O.

Oh dear - better start the resto off :oops:
New window bottom.
Yes I know they leak, but doggies danglies n all that

Hours of work and does it look any different :evil:
jellibus

Re: THE 'jellibus' resto - Want a new interior for your bus?

by Reggie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:42 pm
Looks like the makings of a great bus
The safaris look sweet , So tell us more ,like your colour and interior plans then

Sending you some motivation :bounce: :bounce:
Reggie
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:07 pm
Yo Jellibus glad you made it over to SSVC your right mate the west yorkshire air sure has a nip too it my garage build is on hold check out my resto thread
Keep up the good work fella and remember ill be asking for tips n advice reguards safaris when i get the funds to be able to purchase me a pair

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

by 66Westy & 64Bug » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:37 am
get a heater in your garage :wink:
66Westy & 64Bug
SSVC Member

by acmecustom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:37 am
Nice looking bus mate... Best of luck with it. Your right about safaris though... Sure you are gunna get wet but when/if the sun does shine they are the best thing ever!!!
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by jellibus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:18 pm
It was a now or never time for the safaris - hope I don't regret it 8O Been looking at some posts of the guy with wet pants :(
Spent over an hour tonight welding/grinding in a new 'flat' bottom for the radio mounting panel, so that there is no gap when the 'Blaupunkt Hamburg' goes in. I'm trying to 'dry fit' as many things as possible so that there is no drilling once the paint is on.
I've just ordered a steering box lifting kit. Another job, but it'll make a change from filler/paint stripper.
Oh yes, just wait until you see the retro 'TAXI' sign I've got for the dash :) :)
jellibus

by snowman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:36 pm
Hey! Pics at last :cheers:
safaris are the dogs bits, if they leak you could always try some of that silicone sealant stuff round em :lol: ( jealous? who me? you bet) keep up the good work , if your feeling the cold get some more pepperoni on ya pizza!

Tell us more on your colour choice etc
snowman
SSVC Member

by snowman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 pm
Hey! Pics at last :cheers:
safaris are the dogs bits, if they leak you could always try some of that silicone sealant stuff round em :lol:( jealous who me? you bet) keep up the good work , if your feeling the cold get some more pepperoni on ya pizza!

Tell us more on your colour choice etc
snowman
SSVC Member

by jellibus » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:59 pm
So far ??? The colour is going to a really dark burgundy bottom and cab interior with usual white top. I did contemplate a colour reversal but, The dark colour will contrast well with the Chrome bumpers and S/S exhaust etc. I've removed the clock from the dash and welded up the hole, as I always have to disconnect it on a night because of the tick, tick, tick, tick etc.
Also I'm quite tempted to 'borrow' the polished raders off the oval. If not the EMPI 5's will get resprayed in Saliva (silver :wink:). Got some 'slam' tyres in the loft, so I can go even lower :D but I might not get out of my street then :(
I'll get some more pics posted after my weekend of work.
jellibus

by jellibus » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:43 am
Had a Saturday instead of a Sunday this week. By bl**dy h*ll (as we say up Norff) It was cold and yes the heater did go on.
So what happened yesterday ?

Remove from here
Replace in here. Now. would anyone ever notice this :?: It's something that has always bugged me, so this was the time to do it. It has put quite alot of heat distortion in the localised area (as you can see by the amount of filler)and at the moment doesn't seem like one of my better ideas :idea:

The 'new' taxi sign. It will light up when in the upright position. Also I can change the 'taxi' bit to something different -

New radio-I might even wire this one up :D A light skim of filler needed underneath and all sorted

I also started removing the steering box ready for the raising kit - which is probably why I can't get motivated today :( Far too cold to be lieing about on the floor. Good news is that all the bolts have come loose along with the anything else which is in the way.
Brought the standard Beetle wheels home in readiness to remove the Raders- Yes they're going on the bus. :?: Are there any clearence issues with Raders :?:
jellibus

by Sooty » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:01 am
That taxi sign is just sooooooooo bad ass!!!!

Fantastic!, looking great so far....... 8)
Sooty
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 am
let me know how you get on with the steering box raise jellibus its a job on my list of things to do in the new year!
berpsta
SSVC Member

by snowman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:53 pm
Where did ya get that sign, where did you get that sign, ?laa laaaa laaaa
:thumbup:
Nice!
Had my eye on a similar thing in a spanish taxi last year , couldn't talk the driver into letting me have it though :cry:
snowman
SSVC Member

by jellibus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:59 pm
Weekly update time :D and what's been happening? Another week with the outward appearence of bugger all :cry: Had my daughters Christmas concert and my Mums 80th birthday this week, so not a lot happened during the week.
Decided to bare metal the front panel as there were bubbles in the existing paint, which must have been trapped moisture in the paint when it was applied. This has left small rust marks, which would only come through the new paint- and we don't want that do we ?
Most of today has been spent flatting the front panel and shaping the loading doors after moving the handle recess. Also, I repaired the top captive nut plate for the rear load door as I had to drill out the existing bolts. Lost count of how many times the doors have been on and off today :? I was never happy with the existing gaps, so now it just has to be as good as I can get them.
My plans for removing the steering box has had to be rethought :? The garage has a deep drain, with by a manhole cover. Plan A was to position the bus over said hole and lower the box/column into the hole in order to remove it :D Plan B is either to dig another drain hole :oops: or raise the bus suitably high enough to get the column out :( There is now only 1 bolt retaining the assembly, so it's just a matter of working out how to get the column out :!:

Hole to give access and will be replaced with a raised section for the control arm

I also had a major tidy up, which took over an hour :x: but well worth it in the end
jellibus

by jellibus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:09 pm
Christmas - don't it get in the way of everything?
Works christmas do on Friday night, so not alot (sweet FA) got done on saturday - Ah Stella Artois :D drink of the gods :? Chucked up outside the pizza shop :oops: and went straight to bed without eating any :(
Had my daughter on Sunday, so if she's here there's no way I spend all my time in the garage.
Hopefully I'll get to crack on from Saturday onwards once the festivities are out of the way. I really was hoping to be somewhere near getting it sprayed by now, but don't it just go on and on.

More photos as and when work progresses.
jellibus