The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

'El Greenio' ATB (All Terrain Barndoor)

'El Greenio' ATB (All Terrain Barndoor)

by Dai » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:39 pm
After a couple of years thrashing around with zip ties, duck tape, and luck holding bits on, its time for a bit more work before Hessisch for the green '53. This means that other projects are going on hold (well, apart from a couple) :wink: and Im going to be spending a bit of time sorting some stuff out on my first bdr. List of stuff to do in the next couple of months includes the following.....

Tracking
Dual Circuit conversion
Grease thoroughly everything
Sort Dash pod a bit
Wiper motor has blown
Weld the hole in the front panel
REar hub seals
REar brake shoes
Re-route rear brake lines
Check and sort handbrake counduits
paint above gearbox
sort some hubcap clips
sort the passenger's door lock
fix rusty hinge carrier
weld loading doors
Weld cab doors
clean and paint under OG battery trays
Change front gearbox mount
Swap out lever arm shocks for reconditioned ones
change exhaust
Fresh coat of paint

..... to start with! :lol: Hoping to get some of this started this weekend.... as long as its not -19 again!!! 8O

The good thing is that we now have one of those 'instant boil' kettles, so we can save time whilst brewing up! Should make life a lot more efficient and easier. 8)
Dai
SSVC Member

Re: 'El Greenio' ATB (All Terrain Barndoor)

by Bergy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:01 pm
loving this pic mate :D ....1950's safari expedition !!

Bergy

by vwxyz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:35 pm

great bus btw :)
vwxyz

by acmecustom » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:48 pm
oh my oh my... Now that's tuff looking bd!! Best of luck with 'small' list of jobs fella!! With all that time saved not boiling the kettle it'll be done in no time!?! :wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by musclebus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:08 pm
streetwagens wrote:we now have one of those 'instant boil' kettles 8)
oh yes !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
musclebus

by 67ben » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 pm
[quote="streetwagens"]Fresh coat of paint
Surely this was put on the list as a wind up :cry:
I have just done the front mount in mine takes a while to get it all to line up properly but got there in the end.
67ben
SSVC Member

by BBBCVW » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:28 pm
thats a days work for you dai now no kettle boiling is requird
BBBCVW

by Dai » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:02 pm
Came back from a breakfast meet at the Midway Cafe in Eis' Trekker and decided to make a start on it.... Note to self, Don't pull engines with a belly full of fried stuff!!! :lol:

Decided to work on it in the Barn, its a bit drier than the shed!!!!

Of course, I had an audience to watch me work!! :roll: :lol:

So, pulled the engine, then pulled the brakes apart and started to get the trans back out, bit of a leak from the hub seal by the looks of things!!! Anybody know what is a direct replacement for barndoor?

A little later, got the fuel tank and shelf out, and got the trans out so I can sort the gearbox mount out and make a start on cleaning it up and painting it in there. 8)

See the cheeky '54 panel peeking out in the background!!! :lol:

Hopefully a bit more tomorrow!! 8)
Dai
SSVC Member

by 23A » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:18 pm
..i'm sure you don't need that Spare wheel shelf... :? :twisted:
23A
SSVC Member

by MattBulliBus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:23 pm
Great pics 8)
MattBulliBus
SSVC Member

by Dai » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:31 pm
Wow!!!!! I received an email from a previous owner of my bus!!!! :D :D :D Here are a few details from the email:

Hello Dai!
I have seen your bus here and there on the net and I believed it has to be the one I had in the mid 90s. And it was!
Unfortunately I haven´t many photos but I scanned them and will send them to You in separate mail.
The first owner was Vägförvaltningen i Västernorrlands län, Härnösand. It´s a department for road maintainance and in the fifties they used to have army green
veichles. The car was scrapped in 1961 and went to a junkyard in Härnösand. Mr Nordstrand, a neighbour to the junkyard owner bought the bus because He, like
many other farmers in the district used old buses as a cabin for hunting and when he worked with timber. When I found the bus it was converted to a very interesting
tractor pulled sled. The brake drums were welded to the back plates and rims from a Popular had steel beams welded like a ski. I suppose You have noticed the
traces of welding on the brakes? The bus was a nightmare to move and would be in better use as a anchor for a battleship. I paid Mr Nordstrand 30 euro and towed
it to My garage. In these years there was barndoors almost everywhere and I didn´t pay too much attention to this one. You could find better ones for little money.To be honest I didn´t care much about how old a bus was either, as long it was a split screen. The year after I found a 23-window and put the bd out for sale. Not so many interested...the only thing happened was that someone stole the taillights when He was allowed to look at the bus when I was at work :-( Two months later Mats called
Me and we made a deal, I traded the bus for 8 skylight windows, corner windows and the sunroof which was missing on My deluxe. I delivered it to his garage and that´s
the end of my story. Anyway, I am happy over to see Y19726 back on the road again. It looks absolutely fantastic, great job! By the way, I suppose
You know the "Kempes" bd? It was rescued about 10 miles from the place I found Your bus. I didn´t know about it at all, even though I´ve been everywhere around here
looking for split screens. I failed to scan an old licence register from 1958 I have where all veichle in the county was registered, that´s the blurry pic I sent to You. Your bus is registered on that page. The Kempes bd is there too.
I hope that You could read and understand this properly, I´m a Swede You know ;-) And by the way, if we meet sometimes...Could I have a ride in Your bus?
Bye for now and Good night!/ Arne

Fabulous!!!! :cheers: I had heard about the 30 Euro price before, that was when it worked out at approx £16 due to the exchange rate, but it is excellent to hear the info directly!!! 8) 8) 8) I shall host these pics and get them on this thread!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Dai
SSVC Member

by 686 bus-boy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:35 pm
Very 8) 8) 8) :wink:
686 bus-boy

by Dai » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:38 pm
Love it!!!! :D

I'll split the pics up in to bigger ones when I get a chance in paint, so cool to see it in different places!! This bus has escaped 'recycling' a few times then!!! 8) 8) 8)
Dai
SSVC Member

by Dai » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:53 pm
So, after last Saturday's stripping apart, there has been a bit of progress.

Sourced some steel conduit that is thinner wall than the stainless stuff that is currently in there for the handbrake cables, so that should make things a lot easier to shape etc. Also decided I need a new pair of rear gearbox mounts, as mine are shot, also realised that I have lost the front mount I had from Monkeyspinner Tim!! :lol: I'm sure its in a van/shed/house/pub somewhere, more searching this weekend!!

Also got a load of brake bits arriving for the chevy in the background, so this weekend will see playing about with both vehicles interspersed with visits to the fine beverage house called the Masons Arms, a 3.5 minute brisk walk from my shed. Ace. 8)
Dai
SSVC Member

by acmecustom » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 pm
Wow... WOW. n Wow!!! You must be well chuffed to have got in contact with a previous owner mate!!

Makes me wanna do the same as mine was a swedish school bus for most of its life... best get searching...

Oh yeah... I have 30 Euro's for you if you get fed up with it... Actually call it 50 Euro's including interest!! :wink: :wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member