The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

TENT MADDNESS Picnics and Trophies

TENT MADDNESS Picnics and Trophies

by ollieb7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:01 am
Well I’ve been cruising around this forum for a while now and thrown the odd comment in but as yet I’ve never really introduced myself nor told you all what I’ve been getting up to with my van which I bought in 2006. First of all myself; Hamish or as you all know me (my cats name) Ollie B. I’ve been frequenting VW shows since the early to mid 90’s with going to the local shows such as Doune and Avon park with my oldest best friends Bob and Alan who were then running around in ovals, buggies and 914’s with 2110’s before most people in Scotland - they still have them but as constant static works in progress! I’ve always enjoyed the shows and have continued to go to them what with Bugjam, Bug show at Spa and more recently Bug-in and SCC. However it’s taken me a long time to actually get an VW air cooled mainly as I’ve always liked going round corners fast but also It took a while until I could afford to splash the cash on a second car :D
However, in 2006 I spotted this split and I have to say that it is the best vehicle I have ever bouht.
It was with the help of my friend Alan that I decided to go all the way from Scotland to meet a the owner, a taxi driver in Ramsgate to have a look at it – in Alan’s words ‘buy it, buy it!’ on spotting the Double Door walkthrough arrangement. I also got a lot of advice over the phone from an old friend Mark who lives in London and Bob who’s always on the line when things don’t work for which I will always be grateful for.
I understood the Double Door / Walkthrough was unique for a EZ camper but not quite how much and subsequently since having the van I have become to realize that it is possibly the only EZ camper now in existence with this arrangement – if anyone knows another please let me know. Any how many of you may know of this vans history as it is the original Vintage Warehouse camper owned by Greg Banfill. I only came to finding this out following doing a search on Samba.com for ‘DD EZ Camper’ and from that I have been lucky as Greg has posted a lot of historic pics of it which I share with you here. Unfortunately I don’t have anything pre internet so if any one knows this van before then I would be delighted to hear from you. From memoary the M plate has it down as built August 1964 – 65 Model, German made and port of delivery San-Francisco.

It’s not all roses though and there is a catch to my good fortune! When I bought the van I duly went round the bottom half with my trusty magnet and it is in fantastic condition - belly pans, underside structure, the lot - solid. However I did work out it had had an accident on the drivers side (1 shiny door!) but didn’t realize until I got home and ‘dug’ around that I found in actual fact that it had been rolled and worse than that, repaired very badly what with glass fibre, filler and painted bathroom sealant – all in the places where welding should be - a mess! Perhaps this explains why it had had two owners since being imported to the UK in 2005…mmmm…
Anyway less of my warble - pics and descrps…..

Circa 2001….
Something missing?

Does anyone know much about the steps?

I had some contact with Greg’s friend Al who owned the bus before him. The bus had been known to have been sitting and not running in the previous owners back yard for years. Apparently it was these previous owners who had rolled it and painted it green / white and no doubt did the well dodgy repair job. The bus is believed to have come from the Sacramento area in California and Al had bought it whilst at the VW Show in Vallejo after spotting it ‘looking forlorn on the back of a trailer in the parking lot’ I don’t think Al did much to it apart from a bit of house cleaning and getting it running, but it was Greg (who apparently got it for free!) got all the credit for making it roadworthy – at this point it was nick named ‘EL Rolo’! I know this bus is held in a special place for Greg so I hope you find that I do it justice.

ollieb7

Re: TENT MADDNESS Picnics and Trophies

by ollieb7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:03 am
Start of Tent Madness!

The above was the start - I believe this is made by Westfalia. This tent provides an extra 3 feet of legroom – no longer with the van.

And the madness continued….

For the keen eye – but a good pic!

Apparently at some show it was decided that the Domobile roof was in order. The roof is from a wreaked Bay window. The frame / roof had to be tweaked to match each other, and the roof had to be trimmed to match the roof. Then the bellows had to be trimmed to match the roof also. Not a show quality job, but to me it is one of the best things of this van – so useable!

Comes with the double bunks;

And with a small lowering job – gives a well smooth ride! This was the first pic I found when searching its whereabouts on the tinter – The joy after a lot of research – blurry eyed bob I was!

With all the kit and a big dog for good measure!

The following great photos and more can be found on Greg’s web site
http://www.vintagewarehouse.com/TentDay.html

ollieb7

by ollieb7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:04 am
Life in the UK

Some Pics prior to the departure to the UK – More can be found again on the Vintage Warehouse Site here – check out the other cool stuff too!
http://www.vintagewarehouse.com/1965%20 ... amper.html

And in 2005 in UK soil – reunited with the same ‘TenDayt’ van

Image.

By the time I saw the van a year and two owners later it had undergone a bit of polishing and a liberal application of green B&Q Gloss paint – the advertised photos;

Interior – rather worse for ware, looks ok however the wood was split and a lot of the screw holes burst through – not very helpful when breaking and half the interior dismantles its self! Oh…. and my wife didn’t like the smell!

The first year I didn’t really do much with the van except use it round Scotland for the summer and then went to Bug Show at Spa for a Euro trip – Not the most successful as the engine expired whilst towing my mate Bob’s beetle back on the Belgum motor way – oil senders should never be over tightened and then cracks in block disguised with metal filler! Special thanks to Alan here who drove miles to help us and Greg and crew at Bus Stop Ecosse who did me a great deal on a new VW Mexico 1600 cc. http://www.busstopecosse.co.uk/

Best pic of 2006 – empty bottle of wine, sun in Scotland, happy dog and a van - pig in ....!

ollieb7

by ollieb7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:06 am
First winters work 2006/07…..New interior

A lot of nights to get to this point. Custom Made VW Furniture, TMI Door cards, Covers by J&S Upholstery and all upper panels, window surrounds made by yours truly. Curtains and bunk material by my wife – the former we’ve decided is on for a change though.

Pre-staining;

Stained

Before; This drivers seat had a story to tell – it’s not the original cover – that was underneath – as well as lots and lots of dried blood!!! 8O 8O

After

Happy dog! :)

Dash got a bit of a sproose up too;

For me I’m not yet quite happy so further plans are a foot for the the interior – It’s a constant thought process!

Our second Euro trip at Bugin 1 and a tour round Northern France – 2K + Miles round trip no bother this time! :cheers:
My first and only show n shine – it was the only way to camp at the event! Met Greg at this point too which was cool!

Love this photo – same trip – city camping in Epernay
ollieb7

by ollieb7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:07 am
Unraveling the dark side;

Greg had known about the El-Rolo’s bendy past and had been very honest when having mailed these photos to the first UK owner. However being the third UK owner it was only when I started to take things apart did the full horror reveal it’s self – Joy!

Area where the bus has bannana’d approx. half inch along full length

You can’t see it but the roof is all glass fibre under here – well thick.

B Post not quite flush;

Door frame cut to fit;

Bulk head buckled

Internal roof structure B post area – Here you can see a plate held in place by painted bathroom sealant. Welded? – oh no sealants easier! Stiffener buckled

Forward area of cab roof – more sealant

B post to Bulkhead – yes more sealant!

What this photo doesn’t show is the lower B pillar has a bloody great hole at line mark and again is full of filler

On removing loads and loads of filler (1” thick in places!) it was obvious the roof was damaged along the areas highlighted;
Image]

Tailgate never sat right – this is because the ‘banana’ has pulled the top hinge roof structure forward;
ollieb7

by ollieb7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:08 am
The scary bit – finding out the true condition

I have to say that I have had to dig deep here and on a few occasions resist the temptations to walk away and find another bus – it’s a big bloody job and to me it is something that cannot be ignored – I like rat busses, historically dented / patina busses etc but structurally unsound busses – no…
I obviously think it is worth saving not only due to it’s uniqueness but also I am after a bus that I can use for many years and for me this is a keeper – I like a tardus even if it is grafted!

Winter work 2007 / 2008

Lots of Nitromorse – lots for full bare metal and more horrors…
2 to 3cm thick filler on this panel

Swage line and rear quarter also was heavy on filler

Upper panel buckle

Lovely door though!

The good side and a bit of experimentation – don’t worry the end result will retain the original character so no two tone ‘V’ – New colour on the cards which has taken me a eon to decide :scratch: ; similar early VW Greenish - yes – velvet no…..........
Lots of rattle cans for this!

Worst part of the job which there is no pictures was the repair to the bloody pop top. It was covered in osmosis (trapped watery bubbles) and the gel coat was cracked. .... load of grinding and major amount of sanding after application of new gel coat – I used to fix yachts in my youth so the old skills came in handy. However if your contemplating doing the same just buy a new one!

Started restoring the windows – not a pop top but big lengthy job!

I also started collecting some bits – the cats not sure though!
ollieb7

by ollieb7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:09 am
Collection of bits

These pics were taken the day after the van passed its MOT with flying colours (Well there was one blocked window washer -who would have thought!) prior to a 9 hour drive before I stored it in Liverpool awaiting the next stage

The collection of bits;

The bus has been in storage for 7 / 8 months awaiting the next stage and for that I am very thankful to ‘The Mothership’ but during this time I have been sourcing a few bits. This was the first time that I actually saw them altogether – this is now mid Feb 2009; Volksheaven for the roof and Bulkhead. Alan H Scofield for the 2nd hand drivers door and NOS cargo, autocraft panels

Spot the potential 4.5/5.5’s :compress: !

Feb – 2009 - Getting ready for the 2.5hr drive from Liverpool to Birmingham – this is the side you always worry about the police seeing – and they did too – to bad though they were on the slip road going off the M6 . Friday the 13th is not always that bad!
ollieb7

by ollieb7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:10 am
The even more scary bit – choppin!;

As much as I’d like, and time allowing I will practice, but I am no welder and I would like a good paint job to last another 40 years so I have had to hire in some expertise. I had quite a problem getting people to agree to do the job and it’s taken a lot of work however it was on this forum that I spotted some of the excellent work that David Haywood http://www.haywood-classic-custom.co.uk/ Having dropped off my van I saw for real time the excellent work he does and the paint work he produces is to die for! Plus the fact he took your roof off NickC was all the convincing I needed – very lucky to get a spot!

Work begins – Drivers door fitted as start of the mega line up!

Glass / filler exposed…

A few spots to repair in the floor;

Roof prep

Choppy choppy – no turning back!

CSP Shine!

Dodgy A post repair;

Wondered why the front windows always leaked!

More Choppy choppy

Things starting to line up now though – inclusive of rear hatch

From here more to come now time - as it happens – I would like to think that I could get the van finished by 2010 however where’s the fun in that – constant evolution and continued improvement is where it’s at – as you can tell these old VW’s really do find there way under your skin……

Hope you enjoy!
ollieb7

by Biglozzer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:17 am
great pics Ollie and fantastic history. Keep us informed and updated. Cool:
Biglozzer
SSVC Member

by jammytask » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:38 am
Superb dedication fella! I've seen the awning pics before, they look great. Can't wait to see the van finished, top job.

Chris
jammytask

by dombutler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:57 am
Tent madness :!: I like that setup a lot 8) I daren`t show it to the wife or she will make me build her 66 that way :D without the bathroom filler of course. Good to see the repairs being done and it being put right. My 56 daily has similar damage to the front offside, and I dread to see what is under the filler...
Cheers,
Dom.
dombutler

by acmecustom » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:42 pm
What a story!! Great bus and best of luck chaps...
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by volkswouter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:00 pm
Never thought that bus needed so much work!

Its really a fantastic eye catcher with al the tents and the rooftop.
Good luck with all the repairs , they look good.

Cheers Wouter
volkswouter

by adamandfaye » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:09 pm
What is it with ex USA busses and the acres of filler/chicken wire/newspaper etc used to repair them?? I can so empathise with you as my ex cali SO-42 had been on its side..looked nice and straight till I started to strip it back to the o.g. paint.It was a shocker! Not a straight panel anywhere on the off-side. Last Viccie Farm the Mrs was so embarrased she wouldn't get out for the photo as we drove in, so she hid under the dash!! She even tried to make me park it so no one could see the off-side where all the damage was :D

Good luck wiith the resto.

Adam
adamandfaye
SSVC Member

by nick » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:11 pm
are the tents og westy tents? 8O i would love one of them for my westy.... :cry: great read and fantastic photos.... :cheers:
nick
SSVC Member