The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

'Oscar' the 1956 Oval not a bus, sorry!

'Oscar' the 1956 Oval not a bus, sorry!

by g4rfy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 pm
After a baron spell with nothing air cooled I thought it was time to buy something to tinker with at the weekend! I set myself a budget to buy an Oval, had always wanted one and whilst I have owned 3 Beetles they were all later cars! I set my friend Dave (Bally) a task of finding a good car (he seems to always find things that I can't :wink: ) After looking at a number of nice cars on a number of forums, Dave sent me an email to say that he had found a car on the Samba. I sent an e mail and held my breath....I never get responses from the Samba. I got a response and organised to drive to Bath to see the 1956 (57 Model) Oval. I drove to Bath expecting the worse.....and was pleasantly surprised when I was greeted by a very 'honest' Oval that was 90% original and had the benefit of a rag top and black with red interior (the combination I was looking for)

I agreed a price with the owner and had to wait over a week to organise collection. During this time I must of questionned myself 100 times as to whether it was as nice as I had originally seen. I enlisted the help of a member of my team, thanks Johnny the Trailer, and we set off to Bath to collect Oscar.

What a good looking chap! And also proof that contrary to popular belief I dont just push a pen! :D

Some of you may know that I am lucky enough to have a big workshop and MOT testing facilities at my disposal......so the first thing to do was book Oscar in for an MOT. He failed! :cry: Hardly surprising as he hadnt been on the road in the UK for 3 years almost and was still sporting the shipping writing on the windscreen. The failure was headlamps out of alignment, play in the steering box, osr foot brake and handbrake inefficient and horn not working.......not bad for a car thats 53 years old! 8)

A hitch hiker! :clown:

Today I rolled up my sleeves and got to work on the remedial works needed for the MOT. I adjusted the rear brakes, adjusted the steering box, fixed the horn (bad connection) and adjusted the headlamps.

The best bit and now the worst bit! :evil: :evil: :evil:
A Porsche 912 engine......hidden under the deck lid!

I reversed Oscar out of the brake rollers and was happy that he had passed his retest and was just about to receive his MOT certificate. I heard a funny noise from the engine and quickly shut it off. I then checked there was oil still in the engine and made sure all was tight. It was, so I tried to start him again.......he was flat......or was he seized! 8O

I turned the alternator to see if that was seized.....all free.....so closed my eyes and prayed and turned the engine over with an enormous spanner......it turned through 355 degrees and then stopped.... 8O :x: After a major dose of tourettes.......I came to the conclusion that hopefully :? there has been some sort of failure with the valve gear......all ideas and advice gratefully recieved :roll: :roll:

I have plans for Oscar and I will keep you updated with progress.......first job to see why hes seized!

I will keep you updated!

G4
g4rfy
SSVC Member

Re: 'Oscar' the 1956 Oval not a bus, sorry!

by chaser » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:40 pm
Bastige! :evil:

Only gone a bought my dream beetle! :roll:

Oval, black, sunroofed, with a Porsche engine in the back! 8O

I had a LHD bay that I fitted a Super 90 engine into back in the seventies. I got the engine as payment for fitting another one into a beetle for a chap. Wish I had it now, used to go like a rocket (compared to a worn out 1600 VW)
Iremember having to cut some rear section from the beetle for valve cover clearance, is it the same for the oval? The car I fitted it to was about a `67 I think maybe later.

My next toy WILL be a beetle, anything `67 and down.

Good luck with the engine problem, I hope it is not serious.
chaser

by BO JANGLES » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:44 pm
I spotted this one for sale aswell, looks nice, good luck
BO JANGLES

by m1xmag » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 pm
Very nice looking Oval, looking forward to see this one worked on.
m1xmag

by vwJim » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:53 pm
You never said it was a ragtop!! Its ALMOST my fav' T1, only for the fact the steering wheel's on the wrong side... Will definitely be popping over to have a snoop now!
vwJim
Founder BWA Member

by g4rfy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:46 am
Iremember having to cut some rear section from the beetle for valve cover clearance, is it the same for the oval? The car I fitted it to was about a `67 I think maybe later

No cutting involved.......but have just tried to take off the rocker covers and I cant......engine out job! Hmmmm wonder what I will be doing this weekend! 8O
g4rfy
SSVC Member

by Bally » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:13 pm
I can vouch for this being a very solid and honest car - shame about the engine but hopefully it won't be too painful. Don't forget to find some of that missing tinware - you'll be needing it when you get to dive it for real :)

It's my ideal Oval although like Jim, I'd prefer the wheel to be on the other side :)

Dave
Bally

by Pucka » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:02 pm
I saw this for sale was and very tempted myself, I'm gutted for you about the engine as that was the jewel on the crown so to speak! Sounds like by your quick thinking (switching it off) you have limited any major damage and I hope you can sort it quickly and cheaply as its a beautiful bug and needs to be used!
Pucka

by g4rfy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:53 pm
Bit of an update!

I have bribed some help and the engine will be coming out tomorrow......fingers crossed its nothing too serious and the good news if the engine now turns over! :bom:

I have borrowed, thanks Dave, some dropped spindles for the front and have bought some red9 rear spring plates to drop the rear by 2.5" so should look very good sat in the weeds! I purchased some BRMs that are currently away being powder coated chrome! 8O Not sure how they will look I am a guinea pig for the guy as he has never done this finish before. Will be taking a trip to VWJim to have these fitted!

It is my long term plan to fit discs at the front and a narrowed beam but my budget may have been diverted dependant on the state of the engine!

Will keep you updated as to the state of the engine!

G
g4rfy
SSVC Member

by chaser » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 pm
g4rfy wrote:
Iremember having to cut some rear section from the beetle for valve cover clearance, is it the same for the oval? The car I fitted it to was about a `67 I think maybe later

No cutting involved.......but have just tried to take off the rocker covers and I cant......engine out job! Hmmmm wonder what I will be doing this weekend! 8O

See!, I knew I did it for a reason. :D

Hope the engine job goes well.
chaser

by richierich37 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:24 pm
superb :D dude!

good luck with the engine removal............
richierich37
SSVC Member

by g4rfy » Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 am
Thanks for all your kind comments. :headbang:

I came into work this morning and the engine fairy had been at work overnight and the engine was sat on the floor under the car.

Upon very close investigation it appears that the second push rod in from the right has come away from the rocker......we took the plug out and it has been hit by something in the head......next job is to take the head off and see whats going on inside! :scratch: :scratch:

Check the original firewall!

The next job, after I have done my day job, is to remove the head! Watch this space!

G
g4rfy
SSVC Member

by ollieb7 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:32 am
Great to see another oval infultrating the SSVC Forum! Similar story to mine - not long after i got it the lovely fire wall managed to disloge it's self into the fan and cooked the engine! :?

Best of luck with it - i too love the black ones! :D
ollieb7

by g4rfy » Fri May 01, 2009 1:05 pm
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Right....another update!

The head is off......wish I had of left it on! 8O

It appears that there was a 13mm nut in the head that may have been lodged there for some time.....maybe dropped down the carb when the engine was being built. This has been dislodged, jammed the valve which in turn hit the piston bent the rod and then smashed the piston to pieces!

The offending nut! :crybaby:

Whats left of the piston! 8O

Damage to the head!

A very sad con rod! :?

Not sure if I need a drink or just want to cry!

G
g4rfy
SSVC Member

by Bally » Fri May 01, 2009 2:56 pm
OUCH!!
Bally