The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive >

Our GHUB

Our GHUB

by simons121 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:32 pm
Well its been a long time coming and tons of typing and posting up of pictures. So here it is – the story so far. Hope it’s not too boring for you all and you like me have learnt a lot though trial, error, kind advice and lots of head scratching.

We had been looking far and wide for our 1st ever aircooled and it had to be a splittie. We looked a so many rough ones, long chases around the country to be letdown/disappointed before another long session on the dreaded E-bay our Ghub came up. These were the pics posted…

These were from the chap who imported her in 2005/6 as she arrived. How different she was then. She had a bit of a rub down with 1500 grade wet and dry by Darrens Son and had a tickle with the lowering stick. A drop 1 spline on the rear and adjusters to the front beam. apparently the yellow was very custard looking and not too nice in real life.

After a quick trip down to Banbury to meet her and Darren and his great family we shook on a deal and we headed home to sort out the money and stuff to return the following week to collect her. All week I was wishing it to pass quickly to go and get her.

I took the train down with my trusty tool-box and was met at the station by Darren. Emily had to go to work so had to stay behind. The anticipation and excitement was unbelievable. A hurried exchange as I was desparate to get behid the wheel and I was off back up the M40 home. I stopped for petrol and a couple of photos on the way..

Too late, bitten by the bug and total addiction has followed.

She is a 1964 Sportsmobile. Has her stock 1500cc single port engine and generally solid all round. Never been welded or in need (till now – will come on to that later). Her interior was very tired, dark and gloomy and had no headlining.

The money pit looms.

Once home things started to go a little wayward – icing up of the carb, popping out of 4th now and again. Not too bad though given her years I thought. We pottered around grinning like lunatics. Bryony (8 then) loved her but it was now way cool enough for Joe (13 then) who hid in the back and pulled the curtains down incase he was seen!

We met Simon from Absolute VW in Castle Donington who took her into his trusted care and get her a once over. A good service, relocated the external oil cooler and filter, fitted dual circuit master cylinder, secured the battery, POR15 the underneath and Dinitrolled the cavities, sorted brakes and numerous other tinkering.

Not sure on them but got these shoes for her – not for much longer..

The gearbox got worse and worse and gave up on 4th on the way back from seeing my brother in Swindon. We had to drive to our first ever Vic farm in 3rd all the way. Poor old girl needed a little love. !st ever campout = was brilliant!

More chasing around the country and many thanks to people here I sourced creative enginering IRS bits and bobs. Back to Dr Simon who performed immaculate surgery to her again and out she rode with a new rear end inc DC code gearbox. All nicely powder coated.

To be continued...
simons121
-

Re: Our GHUB

by Matthias » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:56 pm
Nice work dude :wink: keep it up
Matthias
-

by Sooty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:07 pm
You know that ride is sweeeeeeeet!!!

Dhurrrrrrrrty Ghubbbbbbby!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Sooty
-

by volksrodpaul » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:25 pm
real nice bus mate....and very solid underneath... :wink:

paul..
volksrodpaul
-

by m1xmag » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:03 am
Lovin the work so far, keep it comin.......
m1xmag
-

by berpsta » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:45 am
Lookng good simon hope to have a cruise with you sometime in the near future!!! Are you coming to D.U.N????

Sean
berpsta
-

by jimbolep » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:59 am
nice bus you have there fella........slam it!! 8) :lol:
jimbolep
-

by simons121 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am
Cheers Guys :D

She is off to Vaughan Green for new interior next month so that ruled out DUN afraid. Tons of stuff still to do!! :D

See you all at Vic farm on Sat???

Si and Emily
simons121
-

by simons121 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:14 am
Sooty wrote:
You know that ride is sweeeeeeeet!!!

Dhurrrrrrrrty Ghubbbbbbby!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Ohhh yeah babeeeeeeeeee!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
simons121
-

by ASW » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:27 am
Nice thread Simon.

Very envious of GHUBs visit to Vaughan :wink:

We won't be at Vic Farm unfortunately but free the following weekend for a drive out somewhere if you fancy it ? Saturday Maybe ?

The Ashfields VW Club and Hooddubs both meet next week too. Tuesday and Thursday night respectively :wink:

Have a great weekend. Can't believe we are away. Best man at a wedding so can't be helped. Taking the van to Snowdonia though :D :D :D

Adam
ASW
-

by cabbage » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:15 pm
Cool Bus Simon

Always took a detour to walk past you bus when we walked to Darley Park, the wife thought I was becoming a stalker :twisted:

Fantastic welding on the IRS chassis work

First camp out looked good, can't wait till our first family trip out.
cabbage
-

by Sooty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:57 pm
simons121 wrote:
Cheers Guys :D

She is off to Vaughan Green for new interior next month so that ruled out DUN afraid. Tons of stuff still to do!! :D

See you all at Vic farm on Sat???

Si and Emily

Make sure you say hello fella........... :cheers:
Sooty
-

by simons121 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:42 pm
Cheers for all the nice comments guys!

Adam - will see if we can get over on tues or thus - will give you a bell mate.

Cabbage - no longer at Mile Ash so sorry you cant get a fix no more mate - anytime yr around Mr Grundy's Tavern let me know - beer time :drunken:

Sooty - yr a gent as ever - see you saturday mate!
simons121
-

by simons121 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:24 pm
As promised..

Whilst we are waiting for the new interior it was time to refurb the grotty windows. Not tooo much bling thankyou but a dam good polish. Each window took forever - strip down, scrape off all the years of crap. good go over with a pan scrubber before wet and drying them. 1500 grade last then polish the hell out of them with Autosol.

Lose the old mosquito netting and fit new window winders to them. Got them from classic trailer supplies in the US of A .Yeee Haaaa, they work a treat.

Replaced all the glass with a bronze tinted laminate to finish them off.

Got grumbled at for "ruining" the garden table - ooops :roll: :roll:

Now as shinney as the top of my head!!

More to come...
simons121
-

by wicker » Tue May 05, 2009 9:14 pm
Great job cleaning them up like that they look the business.

:lol: You even got the sun to shine just as you took them last pics to realy show the shine :lol:
wicker
-