The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

Project Filler removal bus!

Project Filler removal bus!

by The splitster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:37 pm

One of the best filler jobs I have ever seen, must have taken weeks & weeks to do not to mention the amouth of filler used.

The bus has been aptly named Phylis.
The splitster

Re: Project Filler removal bus!

by m1xmag » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:45 pm
That bus is gonna keep you busy alright!

Looks a good un underneath all that work though.
m1xmag

by bobley » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:57 pm
Thats a heck of a lot of bodyfiller, especially considering its an east coast US bus!?
bobley

by moler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:08 pm
Still my favourite pic...

...the mind boggles :?

If by 'U.S spec lights' you meant they just stuck any old s**t in there, you'd be right :D that's an early bug headlight :roll:

And I've decoded your M code plate for you too...

25 O - Your van was built on the 25th October 1966, making it a '67 model year

425 - Seatbelts and mounting points
080 - Walk through (panelvan and kombi LHD)
114 - Six side opening windows (export)
139 - Sealed beam headlamps and red rear lamp lenses (export)
177 - With rear seat only, no middle seat

UA - delivered to USA Los Angeles

2312 - Right hand loading door, LHD, supplied in nitro-laquer paint

1313 - Peral white top and bottom

83 - grey mesh/grey interior trim

;)
moler
SSVC Member

by The splitster » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 am
Cool - thanks for the interest. I would like to create an ongoing thread (much the same as moler has done http://dalgairns.com/outcastvw/viewtopi ... dae07fb8da )

However I am struggling to publish the photos of the progress and can only seem to post links to my flickr web site and not actually put the photos on this site.

I am sure the progress will be interesting to follow (let alone to do! lol) This weekend weather permitting the new long side panel is going on using modern car epoxy bonding techniques to avoid any panel distortion.

Any help on this appreciated.

Thanks.
Nick.
The splitster

by acmecustom » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:06 am
The splitster wrote:Cool - thanks for the interest. I would like to create an ongoing thread (much the same as moler has done http://dalgairns.com/outcastvw/viewtopi ... dae07fb8da )

However I am struggling to publish the photos of the progress and can only seem to post links to my flickr web site and not actually put the photos on this site.

I am sure the progress will be interesting to follow (let alone to do! lol) This weekend weather permitting the new long side panel is going on using modern car epoxy bonding techniques to avoid any panel distortion.

Thanks.
Nick.
Jes. Looks like an interesting project mate. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much bog to remove huh? Best of luck and make sure you take plenty of pictures along the way. . . :wink:

I have never used flickr ... Photobucket is well easy to load pics ? Copy and paste the link and your done ...
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by m1xmag » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:09 am
The splitster wrote:Cool - thanks for the interest. I would like to create an ongoing thread (much the same as moler has done http://dalgairns.com/outcastvw/viewtopi ... dae07fb8da )

Thanks.
Nick.
To post your pictures you need a link that ends in .jpg, the whole thing surrounded by Image at end of the link.

If you right click the image for DSC_0023 it will give you this....
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/370 ... 8f.jpg?v=0

Just take off the stuff after .jpg so you get this...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/370 ... 65a08f.jpg

now put the image tags either side and it should work as below..

Hope that helps a little :D
m1xmag

by The splitster » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Couple of nice denties in the roof - well to be frank I reckon it has been upside down at some point!

Self taught welding - lots of angry grinding required. Overall bus is pretty solid except for a small section where a fridge once stood (condensation)! However the US owner obviously never heard of taking good care and attention of your car!

Engine seems ok bar the usual oil leaks! I am building a 1776 single port, unusual I know but why not - I only want low down torque Pete at Cogbox thinks it should be good for lots of umph. Will run Engle 110 & pair of single choke 34ict's 4into1 exhaust etc etc................will be interesting!
The splitster

by m1xmag » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:40 pm
Glad that helped - easy when you know how :D

Get the updates flowing now mr :wink:
m1xmag

by The splitster » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 pm

So many bullet holes ozi 9mm? Reckon it had been T boned!

The frame was so bent it took me 2 days in cutting welding and very large hammer on a 6ft length of wood to get it back to some sort of normality! The wheel arch has now been replaced as well as this was curtains and beyond economical repair. The replacement is genuine VW from Brasil.

Painstaking - but removing the side panel was done by drilling all the spotwelds from the inside with a 2mm drill (well several drill bits actually lol) This enabled me to see all the spotwelds from the outside and go in with my trusty 5mm spot weld drill. The whole side peeled off like a sardine tin!
The splitster

by The splitster » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:09 pm

The roof had obscene amounts of filler on it. Using a heat gun to soften the stuff and a gasket scraper it took 125 man hours to scrape it off the whole van. I reckon thats £5,000 of work at £40 per hour - lol.....
The splitster

by m1xmag » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:11 pm
The splitster wrote: Image

The roof had obscene amounts of filler on it. Using a heat gun to soften the stuff and a gasket scraper it took 125 man hours to scrape it off the whole van. I reckon thats £5,000 of work at £40 per hour - lol.....
Jesus H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

That is truly astounding!

Must have weight loads, why on earth did they do that! :?
m1xmag

by acmecustom » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 pm
With that much bog on the roof ... is there any evidence that it might have been rolled at some point? :wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by The splitster » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:21 pm
acmecustom wrote:With that much bog on the roof ... is there any evidence that it might have been rolled at some point? :wink:
Erm - if you read further up the thread! Afraid so!
The splitster

by acmecustom » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:25 pm
The splitster wrote:
acmecustom wrote:With that much bog on the roof ... is there any evidence that it might have been rolled at some point? :wink:
Erm - if you read further up the thread! Afraid so!
Hmmm ... good point well made ... :wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member