The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

RHD 52 Kombi

RHD 52 Kombi

by Scotty » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:27 pm
Thought a few of you guys might be interested in the story of my 52 kombi:

It all started when a friend (and lodger) of mine bought a barndoor and was browsing the net for every web site with barndoors on it. He stumbled upon an advert on the eurobox web site and called me over to check out this bus. These are the photos from that ad:

Now I had no intention of selling the 58 samba I had owned for years which was still in a stripped down state, but seeing this rhd bus with piano hinge quarter lights in front of me got me thinking. Wow, that is one rare bus....... I gotta have it! I checked the date on the photos and they were a year old. I emailed the contact (a friend of the owner) but days passed and nothing. I tried to get a phoner number and succeded but still no response.

Skip forward a month or so and I get a phone call from a friend telling me he's bought the bus! I want that bus was my response.

I found out when the bus was coming into the country and just had to go and visit. I ended up looking at the bus in a lay-by whilst it was en-route to it's resting point. This is what I saw:

Needs a little bit of welding then, but I was more excited than I have ever been and it wasn't even mine.....

After I had seen the bus I made it my mission to persuade my friend that I should own the bus with a barrage of phone calls (almost daily) for months until he couldn't take it anymore and he sold me the bus!

Skip forward some more months and Paul Wisk gets stuck into the welding. I don't have many photos from this process, but as you can see pretty much the whole underneath was replaced:

Once Paul was finished I had the bus back home to finish it off. Here are some pics from the day it came back:

I then proceeded to remove the gearbox and clean up the bodywork at the back end which wasn't very pretty:

Once this was all done I could get the wheels back on and roll it out of the garage:

Then it was off to my friend Tim's to sort the front end. I took a week off work to help out. Due to the fact you can't buy narrowed beams for barndoors off the shelf we had to make one using a late beam (64-67 style). This meant cutting all the shock towers off until I was left with 2 tubes which were narrowed and had adjusters fitted:

I didn't want to cut the og beam at all so we had to fabricate the steering idler pin mount from scratch also which was the most fiddly thing to do because there are no flat edges to measure to on the og beam, it's all curves.

Tim also raised the steering box for me. I had to leave Tim to finish off the front end and put it together. I then went back over once it was on it's wheels, put my sprints on and rolled it outside:

Steveo sorted the brake lines at Tim's then it was back to mine for the final push. I had about 2 months or so before I was due to drive to camberg (2007) and it was getting tight! I still had a long list of small jobs to do and got stuck in with lots of help from steveo.

Front brakes on:

After a few long weekends we managed it with a week or so to spare!

Here I am driving into the carpark at BBT with a big smile on my face

A few more random pics:

Scotty
SSVC Member

Re: RHD 52 Kombi

by Ollie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:40 pm
Great story behind a great bus, persistance always pays off!!
Ollie
SSVC Member

by orb » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:36 pm
Never realised you'd put so much work into it Scotty - hats off dude :wink:

Orb
orb

by bigbulli » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:58 pm
Super nice 8)
bigbulli
SSVC Member

by Split-Lee » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 pm
Wow very nice! I Like it! 8) 8) 8)

~Lee
Split-Lee
SSVC Member

by jammytask » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:43 pm
How cool is that! Very nice van, great stance and good story too.

Chris
jammytask

by acmecustom » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:10 pm
Great story scotty. Seriously nice bus mate ... :wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member

by Doogle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:24 pm
Were you at Stonor?

Gorgeous bus! :D
Doogle
SSVC Member

by berpsta » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 pm
that is one awesome bus you had a great lodger

Sean
berpsta
SSVC Member

by jonnyboy23 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:47 pm
Awesome bus which looks even better in the flesh scotty!!
jonnyboy23

by Reggie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:55 pm
Allways loved your bus scotty first saw it at BBT/ camberg then followed it round germany this year.

Great story
Reggie
SSVC Member

by Doc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:46 pm
orb wrote:Never realised you'd put so much work into it Scotty - hats off dude :wink:

Orb

What Orb said!

Nice story and pics, any more?

very 8) ride indeed
Doc

by Bergy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:26 am
Love this pic mate 8) ............ found those parts you wanted by the way :D

Bergy

by 52panelvan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:01 am
Without doubt one of the coolest rides and one of my personal alltime favorite vans. 8)
Great to see the pictures Scotty
52panelvan

by moler » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:35 pm
Saw this at Vanfest '08, was my favourite bus of the show :)
moler
SSVC Member