The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

Revenge of the monkeybus - Muddling through.

Revenge of the monkeybus - Muddling through.

by monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:03 am
Well it's something that I knew was going to need to happen at some point and after 9 years of ownership, the time is nigh.

My dear old bus is getting somewhat the worse for wear and is in need of a full resto. I've spent ages deliberating whether to flog it and just buy a new bus, but the heart says no. Unfortunately its part of the familly and it will probably be with us until we're old and infirm (the kids needn't think they're getting their hands on it..).

Anyway, she's a rhd 64 11 window bus, originally purchased and delivered to Devon for conversion before going to the first owner in Weymouth Dorset. Being a typical UK bus, she's shafted and has been 'restored' many times over the past 40+ years. This usually involved newspaper and chicken wire/filler, with the old sheet metal plate welded straight over rusty holes. During my ownership, I've replaced bits properly as they were needed, as well as thrown some paint at it. However there are some serious problems that just cant be left now and so I'm taking the plunge and sorting her out properly with the thought that hopefully it will be the last time for the next decade (or 2 hopefully).

I'll take some pictures once its stripped, but effectively theres severe gutter rot in the offside rear corner and along that gutter due to the MW poptop.
The chasis is ropey in places as is the front panel valance (which we lashed up when we painted it last time). All doors are knackered, at least one seal is knackered as are all the outriggers, top hats etc. Front windows are holey under the seals, cab floors got huge plates, as have the wheele wells.. blah blah blah. Basically its a big enough job.

So the mission has started and I expect it to take about 16 months , which isn't a problem as we have a new baby due in July so we wouldn't use it much this year anyway.
monkey

Re: Revenge of the monkeybus - Muddling through.

by andy f » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 am
Look forward to reading the resto progress. Least you know when you've finished it'll be good for another ** amount of years. :wink:

16 months, we might finish at the same time !!!

Andy
andy f
SSVC Member

by monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:12 am
andy f wrote:Look forward to reading the resto progress. Least you know when you've finished it'll be good for another ** amount of years. :wink:

16 months, we might finish at the same time !!!

Andy
Race Ya!
monkey

by monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:26 am
And although I shouldn't even be thinking about the colour yet, I can't help it.
Thinking either:

Image Bahama Blue

or

Image Bermuda Blue

or

Image Anthracite

With a shade of white for the top half. Dependent on the colour chosen. The wife would like a light blue again. My 3 year old would like a red (which was its original colour) whilst I like grown up grey.

6 months to work that one out anyway...
monkey

by 13bussing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 pm
Bermuda Blue in satina 8) 8) as.
13bussing

by monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 pm
13bussing wrote:Bermuda Blue in satina 8) 8) as.
Its a nice colour, but satin isn't my taste. gotta be shiney if i'm throwing all this money at it.
monkey

by simons121 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:33 pm
Scrap it and buy a caravan!¬!
simons121
SSVC Member

by monkey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 am
After all these years I decided to decode the m-plate last night..

M-Plate content
Model Type 2 (T1) mod. 224 : - Microbus
- 8 seater
- Cargo doors left
- Full middle seat
- RHD
Chassis number 1274730
Serial number 221274730
Modelyear 1964
Planned production date March 31 ,1964
Paint color Color upper part : L472 - Beige Grey
Color lower part : L53 - Sealing Wax Red

Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 30 - *** Unknown ***
Destination *** unknown ***

M-CODES
M-CODE Description Concerned models From chassis number To chassis number
215 1 ton payload and 1500cc engine (until October, 1964) Except MicroBus and Deluxe

395 Prepared for Great Britain, exact details unknown -
543 Without seats in passenger area Microbus and Deluxe

So it turns out that it was originally SWR. I had thought it was titian but there you go.
monkey

by rhjackson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 pm
monkey wrote:And although I shouldn't even be thinking about the colour yet, I can't help it.
Thinking either:

Image Bahama Blue
Hopefully you'll paint it bahama blue before I eventually do mine so I can see what it looks like :)
rhjackson

by monkey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:25 pm
rhjackson wrote:
monkey wrote:And although I shouldn't even be thinking about the colour yet, I can't help it.
Thinking either:

Image Bahama Blue
Hopefully you'll paint it bahama blue before I eventually do mine so I can see what it looks like :)
It will look a bit like this I guess..

The top half is Lotus white.
monkey

by monkey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:31 pm
That picture of the bahama blue bus is uncanny. Same roof rack, polished radars, SS badge and ride height as my bus.

A good idea of what it would look like! Not sure about lotus white though. Doesn't make the blue standout enough (could just be the picture though).
monkey

by rhjackson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 pm
Gets my vote although I might be tempted to try Pearl white on the top?

Are you doing all the work yourself? We decided to take our bus off the road when our son was born...trouble is he's now 2 and the bus is no where near finsihed for another summer holiday :(

Look forward to seeing your resto pictures :)
rhjackson

by monkey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm
rhjackson wrote:Gets my vote although I might be tempted to try Pearl white on the top?

Are you doing all the work yourself? We decided to take our bus off the road when our son was born...trouble is he's now 2 and the bus is no where near finsihed for another summer holiday :(

Look forward to seeing your resto pictures :)
Pearls a bit creamey for my liking. My bus currently has cumulous white on top and that really contrast well and livens up the blue below. Something similar would be good. However I'm not going to wrry about colours until I'm ready to buy the paint.

No, its being done by a body shop that my freind owns. I'll work hard and earn my money, he can work hard and take the money off me. I haven't got the time or skill to do it myself.
monkey

by monkey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:11 am
Gotta say though this is my fave at the moment..

monkey

by acmecustom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:09 am
monkey wrote:Gotta say though this is my fave at the moment..

Is that Mouse grey matey? Best colour ever in my humble opinion, even better in satin too. take a look at Doogles thread on here too for more mouse G goodness ... :wink:
acmecustom
SSVC Member