The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

"Peebles" 1964 Devon Caravette

"Peebles" 1964 Devon Caravette

by type21f » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:02 pm
I saw a thread in the "Devon Forum" saying that there was a Devon in the "For Sale" section.
https://archives.ssvc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53987
Thanks Jonnolly!
I read the advert (and looked at the photobucket pictures) at a lovely Devon Caravette located South of Edinburgh and I knew I wanted it for my sons (myself [emoji38] ).

It turned out that the owner was in poor health and a friend had placed the advert. It took quite a few emails and pms to sort out exactly where the bus was located and who was selling it. A few were interested but the bus was a long way.... I pm'd and then I contacted my son who lives South of Edinburgh to go and see the bus...
He could not go that weekend but the owner wanted the bus to stay in Scotland, so he was patient. He had owned the bus for twenty years and travelled all over Scotland and to the VW shows in Scotland. The bus was located not far from the advertiser but was also still near to my son. By a stroke of fate my daughter in law actually knew the advertiser as a patient in a local practise!
My son went to see the Caravette and was impressed with the condition of the interior and general state of the bus and could see the potential (through the rust). He does know his way round splitties...
It had been in the Borders all its life and it sure does rain there. It had undergone some restoration and had been repainted but had also then stood outside for around four years under all weathers..

and so starts the fairy tale of owning another Devon...

Engine lid hinges upside down!

type21f
SSVC Member

Re: "Peebles" 1964 Devon Caravette

by type21f » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:32 pm
So getting it home was the next challenge...
A local garage recovery firm was employed to put it onto a whale tail but they had difficulties getting into position so the trusty A6 avant quattro had to assist. The original intention was to do a rolling repair to get it to MOT standard and use it.
All the door locks were frozen solid and the front windows doors had rotted badly at the bottoms and there were holes in the front floors, b posts, the rear hatch and surround and the engine lid had some rot..
The bus was undersealed which had preserved the majority of the body..
But rotten pop outs, door tops and windows which did not open or function seemed a challenge.
Son sorted non starting engine and discovered that a 1600tp had been fitted but was missing the engine tinware at the back..

So I collected parts and he cut out rotten parts and carried out quite a few patches and repairs to get the mechnicals working.
My Daughter in law made some new curtains to replace the non OG originals..to brighten the windows...
We were musing on the pop top when we saw the original pictures and discovered that it was a Gentlux top (only know of one other) so this was a bonus...

But then my grandson was on his way...So I decided to ship the bus down here to have the body restored locally...
type21f
SSVC Member

by seasick sarah » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:36 am
nice find :D ..............interior looks pretty much complete, by the looks of it the aluminium trim at the cargo door is still there :D

looking at your 64...............the rear cupboard catches and the washbowl cupboard are different from mine [shaving mirror]..................how long did the s/mirror last?

thanks
seasick sarah

by type21f » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:20 am
This is a September 1964 bus with a 1965 Devon model year interior. It has had a Gentlux pop top grafted in, probably not when new?These Pop tops date from 1962 and had a reputation of leaking. They were not too popular...had never seen another...so was very surprised...

Your 1964 bus with the lift up flap and shaving mirror on the flap will be the 1964 model year. The 1964 interior with the lift up flap was a one year only interior. Before this the unit was an open frame like a westy.
type21f
SSVC Member

by jonnolly » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:18 am
I don't even remember this post but glad it turned out the way it did!
jonnolly

by seabass » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:38 pm
Yep - it's a keeper. I'll post some pictures up soon of early work I carried out.
seabass

by jonnolly » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:31 pm
Blimey, I'm racking up a few favours......what's for dinner?
jonnolly

by type21f » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:53 pm
Yep
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/dumb_and_dumber/dumb18.wav
....Seabass..."What's for dinner (Seabass)"...He eats a lot but you mean a round of beer...only just got the joke...
:oops:
dooooooh Dumb and Dumber...
Lots of credit to you! Jon
Without the post by you...I would not have seen and thus we would never have know or got this lovely van...!
type21f
SSVC Member

by type21f » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:18 pm
The first problem of where to have the bus restored was easily resolved.
Dave Haywood of Haywood Custom & Classic was already restoring my Westfalia Hamburg Trailer and he was able to take my van in because he was coming to the end of the restoration of Ollieb7's beautiful double door.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51283&hilit=tent+madness

http://www.haywood-classic-custom.co.uk/

Even more fortunate was that Hamish (ollieb7) kindly provided the details of the transport company he had used to return his completed painted bus back to Scotland. A quick phone call to Brenda at Falkirk Car Carriers ensured that a deal was struck and they would collect, transport and deliver the van from the Borders to Kenilworth for what I considered a very reasonable sum.
Arrangements were made on date etc. Falkirk are sympathetic to transporting classic cars although the majority of their business is transporting high value luxury cars up and down the length and breadth of the country on their transporters.

They arranged for the bus to be collected on a small trailer by a driver who was knowledgeable about the issues of classic cars and potential access egress swept path issues. He phoned to confirm collection plans and to apologise for having to change the arrangements because his trailer lighting was in need of attention.
He confirmed new times and arrived promptly and collected the bus and off it went on the trailer..

type21f
SSVC Member

by Bathtub57 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:42 pm
Lovely van, will watch this with interest.
Bathtub57
SSVC Member

by type21f » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:36 pm
Arrived at Haywoods as promised .....early...

At my nice new home

Some auspicious company including Dave's first bay visitor....a Westy bay belonging to Paul needing some love..

Matt, Nathan and NikC's beauties...

I'm going to feel at home here...

So now Dad has to start to strip me down... for Dave and Mark to wave their magic wand on my rust, dents (and hidden filler)
type21f
SSVC Member

by Doogle » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:44 pm
I like this van. Very nice. Going to be a good read. :D
Doogle
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:47 pm
This is going to be another fantastic thread. Love the story.

Full resto then or patch and blend?
Sooty
SSVC Member

by type21f » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:22 pm
I have two son's and a passion...and now three vans
A RHD 1965 OG unmolested Devon and an unwelded 1965 Fire truck with 16k only on the clock...both OG....this 1964 had been loved a lot bumped a little but is mostly OG inside. It has had an engine swap and been converted to 12v and has been filled a little and resprayed...but then the last 20years owner had matured and suffered ill health so he felt he had to sell before it deteriorated too much. After four years stood outside in the challenging rain and snow of the Scottish Borders all the doors were rusted solid shut and it had lots of rusted out small holes and some larger holes....

So whilst I'm OK to drive a rusty OG this was originally to be a rolling resto but then I thought why not we can all drive her and so it will be a repair and paint but refit the OG interior...

You only live once..or twice..

Dave's got the skills and I'm still enjoying what I do...so...It will be restored metal work and mechanical upgrade for the boys girls and grandchildren...Like a rolling pension fund...
type21f
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 pm
Ha... a rolling pension fund! That is what we called our Samba and the wedding business!

It seem's like everyone on here finds little treasures.... guess i'm looking in the wrong places! :cyclopsani:
Sooty
SSVC Member