The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

'64 LHD Panel to Devon + '63 Eriba Puck + Westy Trailer

'64 LHD Panel to Devon + '63 Eriba Puck + Westy Trailer

by Rippers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 pm
Bought this van yesterday, came off the boat from LA day before. I'm totally and utterly new to the VW scene (always been a Ford RS guy) but me and my wife have wanted a splitty for absoluty years (mother in law lives in St Ives Cornwall and we have the same convo on the way home everytime :lol: ) this year I finally gave in and found this Panel Van.

The van is very dry and has minimal rot so a pretty good base to start on. I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on its previous life as it looks like it may have had a EZ Camper/Sundial conversion in the past. Its the three cut out windows on the nearside that worry me the most I have no idea how to deal with these I guess I 'll have fun finding out thou.
Rippers
SSVC Member

Re: '64 LHD Panel to Devon + '63 Eriba Puck + Westy Trailer

by markp » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:23 pm
wow nice and dry / My poor RHD UK Bus is rusty big time
markp
SSVC Member

by lee c » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:23 pm
8) paint job!!!!!

Good luck with your project !!!
lee c

by Sooty » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:33 pm
Hi there, good basis.

It's a Dec 1963.

Sooty.
Sooty
SSVC Member

by Sunnysidebb » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:38 pm
Hi Paul,
Found your post.
Nice van, should be a good base for your resto.
It will be fun keeping in touch in this and escos.com forum.

Frank. :)
Sunnysidebb

by Rippers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:04 pm
Sooty wrote:Hi there, good basis.

It's a Dec 1963.

Sooty.

I sooty according to this:- http://www.dropgates.com/identity/vinlist.html
Its Jan 1964??
Rippers
SSVC Member

by Sooty » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:08 pm
I believe that 1964 Vehicles started 1241702. Making yours Dec 63.

But I could be mistaken.
Sooty
SSVC Member

by Rippers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:43 pm
I would like to try and do as much prep as I can on the body work. How would you guys advise I go about stripping paint off Nitromors? or sanding? I have a old Rupes polisher I could use as a sander?

Also I need ideas on what to do with the old conversion windows frames cut into the near side. I don't fancy my chances of finding some EZCamper/Sundial windows.. unless some one knows of some?
Rippers
SSVC Member

by Sunnysidebb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:55 pm
Paul Ripley wrote:I would like to try and do as much prep as I can on the body work. How would you guys advise I go about stripping paint off Nitromors? or sanding? I have a old Rupes polisher I could use as a sander?

Also I need ideas on what to do with the old conversion windows frames cut into the near side. I don't fancy my chances of finding some EZCamper/Sundial windows.. unless some one knows of some?

Hi Paul,
IMO you want to steer clear of Nitromors. 1 because you have to wash it off. 2 it can get into seams and stay there for ever if you don't get every last bit out.

I use a commercial cup wire wheel on an angle grinder and an orbital sander with 60 grit. It works a treat. Slow work but does the least damage, imo. I have an air fed grinding mask so the dust isn't a problem for me at all.

Don't ever be tempted to use a heat gun, it is possible if your nor careful to distort a panel.

Frank
Sunnysidebb

by Sunnysidebb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 pm
Looking at your photo's , whats behind the rusty plates that cover the side windows. Are the window frames still there?
What is it you want to do with the windows? It is possible to re-make the original window frames from old side cargo doors if you want the camper/bus windows back !
Sunnysidebb

by Rippers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:59 pm
The problem is there are no frame as such the panels have just been cut. I unscrewed the sheet metal last night and it looks like this now

I'm wondering if it once had windows like this?

Thing is I don't really like that style and I'm not sure where to go from here, my missus would like the original style windows, not sure where I'd get the repair panelling for this.. I think I have a Mission on my hands lol
Rippers
SSVC Member

by Sunnysidebb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:16 pm
Paul Ripley wrote:The problem is there are no frame as such the panels have just been cut. I unscrewed the sheet metal last night and it looks like this now

I'm wondering if it once had windows like this?

Thing is I don't really like that style and I'm not sure where to go from here, my missus would like the original style windows, not sure where I'd get the repair panelling for this.. I think I have a Mission on my hands lol

Have a chat with Rick at Alan Schofields,01457 854267, tell him frank gave you the number and any chance of a wee bit of discount.
If he cant help, which i'm sure he will you could also try ; Auto Craft 024 7639 8217 or creative engineering 01258 863600.
Ive been doing these campers nearly 20 years and seldom use any one else apart form the 3 I have mentioned.
Whats the size of the hole that cut in yours. Measure it and I will tell you how that compares to the standard aperture. Hence whether its possible to fabricate new window surrounds.
Post up some better close up's .
Frank
Sunnysidebb

by tewski58 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:08 pm
sweeet panel mate
tewski58

by Max Last » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:15 pm
Try looking at "Airstream Caravan Windows" i`m sure the EZ windows were more like theirs, witha handle that winds the whole window out rather than the slatted ones in the picture.
Max Last
SSVC Member

by Rippers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:17 pm
Thanks Tewski :)

Max I'll look into them!

Frank just had a measure up the openings are about 47.5 cm's wide and and just over 29 cm's high.

I have one 'normal' window opening (looks like a side opener) in one of the cargo doors and assuming the side windows are all the same the cut out windows I have are way smaller then the original opening which I guess is good as there is plenty of meat left to have the proper frames fitted if thats at all possible and if I'm lucky to find some

Inside shot of the cut out windows

Inside shot of the cargo doors, cut one on the left normal opening window to the right

Rippers
SSVC Member