The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

New garage/workshop project for the Zombi Kombi!

New garage/workshop project for the Zombi Kombi!

by Mike1973 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:57 pm
My pride and joy! A very battered looking untouched Australian Kombi. Been into VW's since I was a teenager, but this is my first Split, and my first attempt at any sort of restoration. Slowly cleaning up all the underside at the mo, which isn't too bad. Giving it a coat of POR15 as I go. Engine was running, so just going to give it a good service. Getting most of the bits for the motor from BFY in the states, don't know how good they are but had trouble finding reasonably priced stuff over here. Just trying to clean all the running gear up right now, don't know how well anything works because I've not had it on the road yet!
Going to try and keep it stock as possible, as I don't like lowered buses. I love the old 30hp motor as well, if it can do 55mph OK it can stay! Also love the original paintwork, but the other half want's it respayed :( (same colour though, maybe next year. Getting a coat of Anker Wax for now.)
Once I've got it on the road going to copy an early Devon for it, with the help of a cabinet maker mate and a '59 Devon interior to copy. Aiming to have it running by the Brighton Breeze this year.
Mike1973
SSVC Member

Re: New garage/workshop project for the Zombi Kombi!

by friedgreedo » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:29 pm
That looks like a solid Bus with loads of potential. Keep up the good work and look foward to seeing it finished (or as finished as these things ever get!!)

By the way, are you the little dude driving the van or that big geezer? :wink:
friedgreedo

by Mike1973 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:53 pm
The little dude is my youngest, Wilf. He should work for VW testing things to destruction the way he 'drives' my kombi! If the steering box was fine before then there must be play in it now :D
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by Byron Bamboo » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:45 am
Nice bus... very cool!!

Where in Australia is it from, my purple bus was from Byron Bay, NSW..

The bus will cruise nicely at 55mph with a 30hp..., I've got this to look forward to as my panel van will be stock 30hp adn reduction boxes.

Deano
Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member

by Mike1973 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:43 pm
Got no history with the kombi, but trawling through the old scraps of paper left inside I reckon it came from Morwell, Victoria.
Got bits from BFY today for the motor - gasket kit, carb rebuild kit, dissy cap and rotor arm... can't wait to get it running again.
Took the rear shocks off at the weekend, totally covered in dust and crud, but cleaned one up anyway. Stamped Armstrong on the side, made in Sunshine, Australia in May 1959 8O That's not bad going!
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by sideshow Beck » Tue May 03, 2005 8:22 am
I was looking at the photos of your Aussie bus, thought I have seen that bus before, This pic was taken in Australia at the VW Spectacular in 2003, It was 4 sale too, but on looking closely, it is not yours, but close.

sideshow Beck

by Mike1973 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:31 am
Not a twin, but pretty close! Maybe a slightly older brother? Colour looks same, wonder if it's unique to Aussie buses? I've assumed it's sahara beige, but this is an uneducated guess. I've got a mate with a 1950's Austin Hereford pick-up, the original paint on that is identical to mine. :? Anyone got any ideas?
Mike1973
SSVC Member

by Ralph RJGB » Tue May 03, 2005 11:43 pm
RE the aussie pic.
that purple bay (cough spit) looks pretty cool all jacked up on the suspension, anyone thought of doing a "baja-bus" over here?
Ralph RJGB

by Mike1973 » Tue May 31, 2005 10:34 pm
Getting there... slowly! :roll:
The fuel tank was covered in crud but scrubed up well, engine bay is pretty manky but will just get a clean and new firewall and engine seal rubber.
POR15 underneath again. Yes I did wear gloves, and yes I did use a cheap brush and chuck it afterwards. But I still got covered in the stuff trying to get bristles from said cheap brush out of paint! :evil:
Axles and reduction boxes are all painted up and ready to go in, new boots and bushes on the shift rod, and new side mounts on the gearbox. Hoping to get it back in soon.
Not looking forward to getting the front up on stands though, and taking the beam off. Never done it before, and reckon at my pace it'll take to Christmas to get it done! :(

Mike1973
SSVC Member

by Byron Bamboo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:42 am
Wow! thats coming along nicely....

They do look good when all POR'd up... and you know you have a rust free bus..

Deano
Byron Bamboo
SSVC Member

by woody » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:45 am
coming along well
woody

by Mike1973 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:45 pm
Managed to get the gearbox back in on my own last week, but I wouldn't recommend it! After being up in the rafters on 6 ton stands for three months I now think it looks radically lowered 8O
Just finished putting in some new fuel line onto the rebuilt reserve tap, nice easy job! Made up for the pig of a job reassembling my drivers door lock earlier! Took me ages to work out how the spring went back in :evil: Nice having a door that locks though, thanks to C&C.
As soon as I get the manifold from FBI the motor is going back together, I'm hoping a general service is all it needs.
Oh, and there is still a very grotty front end to clean up. Doesn't seem to be any play in the pins, but I'm going to attempt to take the beam out and just overhaul and clean it all up.
Big thank you to Sinclair who popped round the other night with Jack. My better half has now seen the light and appreciates original paint buses!
(Not that mine is a patch on yours Sinclair, very 8) bus )

Mike1973
SSVC Member

by smithsvw » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:15 pm
doing a bloody grand job on the bus mike! looks loads better than when it was stood in my garden...
good news about staying in the original paint too..
keep it up mike
looking good
smithsvw

by Mike1973 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:29 pm
Cheers Matt! How's yours going?
Mike1973
SSVC Member