The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

59 11 window project

59 11 window project

by splitty_ash » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:50 pm
here is my 59 split im doing a resto on, it came out the factory as a panel van then had the windows fitted for some reason at a later date, this is my first air cooled vw and finding it a realy joy to do up, heres a couple of pics of it and will add more as i progress with it..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

there is more pics but thatll do for now lol, the bus is at the blasters now getting there hole underside blasted and the engine bay :P what do you guys think of it????
splitty_ash

Re: 59 11 window project

by BusBoyT2 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:08 pm
Lovely. Will be watching this thread with much interest>
BusBoyT2

by splitty_ash » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 pm
alittle more info on what ive done welding wise-
both front outriggers
front cross member
inner and outter sills both sides
full cargo floor
full cab floor
battary tray
front lower outter and inner valance
bottom of both the door pillers
complete front wheel arches both side
drivers side wheel tube
some minor chassis repair

the van will hopefully be in for paint in the next couple of months, pastal white on top with harvest moon beige from the new beetles on the bottom :D
be rolling on 4 1/2 narrowed beam with drop spindles which i still need (spindles)
wheel wise im using crow feet steels, 1600 motor
splitty_ash

by splitty_ash » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm
Just got the van back from blasting and theres more holes, front chssis around the beam needs alot of welding work, front valance, engine bays side panels are shot, and the side panel on the drivers side has lifted due to crap welding work from the states, will upload pics tonite :)
splitty_ash

by dombutler » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:57 pm
oh crap...was it advertised as rust free when you bought it?

Still you know where the bad its are :roll: :wink:

Sounds like more welding, doh :roll:
Cheers,
Dom.
dombutler

by 67ben » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:11 pm
Cool little project 8) are you sure it was a panel it doesnt have any rear panel van vents either ?
67ben
SSVC Member

by splitty_ash » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:26 pm
was sold it as just a resto and on first inspection did look to bad to be honest but all masked with filler tho, never mind least like you say i no where is bad and can fix it now, if im gonna do it mite aswel be properly :D
roller over jig to buy then away i go
rite then heres some pics ofter blasting-
thats all ive got at the moment, looks worse than it is got a good friend whos going to do all the welding work as its all he does air cooled dubs

ye was told it was and left the factory a panel van and converted when sent to the states, only going on what the guy said who imported it and then sold me it, its been done bloody well if it has mind as all looks factory :)
splitty_ash

by 67ben » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:45 am
I don't think it would have been converted in that way as that's a massive job and it would of been easier to buy panel.
What does the vin plate say?
In the first picture you posted it looks like it was originally mango green but I could be wrong which would say standard if it has headliner tabs it wasn't a panel :wink:
67ben
SSVC Member

by splitty_ash » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 am
Unsure of the original colour but do believe it to be gray, it does have headliner tabs in the cab area but no where else, will post pic of the plate behind the bench seat tonite and all info welcome :D
splitty_ash

by splitty_ash » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 pm
just noticed that the chassis number is differant to the number on the plate fassend behind the front bench seat, is this and will this be a problem for me when registering it, only asking as the number on the import papers are the same as the number behind the seat and not the number in the engine bay! all info would be greatfull cheers guys :D
splitty_ash

by splitty_ash » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:45 am
This is what the plate behind the seat says

03 06 9------3rd june 59
387------north american equipment, canada only
Km 211 grey 477***------canada montreal-panel van-grey-may 59
As i say this number is on the import papers not the one below

And the number stamped in the engine bay is
493***------july 59
just unsure of what this means ur are they ment to be differant, im new to all this so feeling uneasy about it until some light can be shed onit
splitty_ash

by splitty_ash » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:12 am
Anyone!!!!!!
Would a heritage letter clear all this confusion up? Just not wanting to restore it and be told i carnt register it later on
splitty_ash

by Doogle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:51 am
Would the original colour not be that which is in the wheel arches, insides of the doors, front clip etc in your pictures- Mango green?

The plate on the bulkhead is the 'M' plate, has the details of colour, van model etc, it may be from another van if the bulkhead has been changed or another plate fitted.
It doesn't matter too much, for the chassis number go by the one stamped in the engine bay.

And yes always good to get the birth certificate from VW, it will give the exact details of your van/that chassis number and its original spec.
Doogle
SSVC Member

by splitty_ash » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:26 pm
Cheers for the reply, think it must have been mango as its all over it and no sign of gray! Plus it has the roof lining tabs!
Orderd new panels yesterday so will be making a start in a week or two
splitty_ash

by splitty_ash » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:34 am
got the van moved yesterday ready for all the chassis repair work and the following, complete wheel arches out back, outter sill on the long panel, thick lip front wheel arch, half a front panel and the lower front valance.
didnt vision doing/having all this done until it was blasted and come to light, kinda gutted but at least i now no where all the bad metal is and can now replace it and will be solid again!!
it had some chassis repair work abit back while up on a 4 post ramp which has caused it to twist abit so its having to be brased up inside and the chassis cut again to square it all up
couple of pics at its new home for welding and will be updating as it progress

splitty_ash