The Split Screen Van Club
You are viewing the Split Screen Van Club forum archive.
The forum archive is read-only.

Unfortunately in 2021 the Split Screen Van Club forum suffered a ransomware attack and lots of the forum data was lost.
What threads that have been recovered are now searchable on this site. Some threads may be incomplete and some images are still being recovered.

Forum archive search

Forum Archive > Rides and Projects

1963 Sundial Split

1963 Sundial Split

by 63CorvairSplit » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 pm
Latest Pic :)

Hi,

Thought i`d get some pics up of my new van. I `ve had quite a few aircooled vdubs over the years, but this is my first split. :)

I went to view it a few weeks ago at Volksheaven and realised its exactly what i`m after - completely rot free - apparantly it came from some farm area in california where it stood for probably 20 years or so being used mainly for gun target practice and home to the local rat population!

One thing thats intersting is that its fitted with a Chevy Corvair engine - i`d never heard of these before, but its a flat 6 aircooled engine from the 60`s that was a popular conversion in the states. I`ve checked the numbers on it and getting some help from some guys on a US corvair forum, it looks like its a 1965 2.7l 110bhp 8O

I`ve had a good look at it since the van arrived and i think i`m going to give it a go getting it running as it`d be a bit different but a period engine. The engine bay hasn`t been cut up which is good and i have a donor 1500 vw engine to go in if it doesn`t work out.

Here`s a few pics -

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

Re: 1963 Sundial Split

by 63CorvairSplit » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 pm

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

by 63CorvairSplit » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:37 pm
I `ll put updates here as a i go along - i have a few plans for it, but i managed to get the birth date from VW which is 11 June 1963 - so the plan is to get it mot`d, registered and on the road for his 50th birthday :D
63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

by 63CorvairSplit » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:40 pm
You might notice, that the engine lid doesn`t quite shut with that flat 6 in there!

SO my first problem (apart form getting it started!) is working out what to do about that. It fouls on the alternator at the moment and then the fuel pump. I think i can get round this my offsetting the number plate a little. But it will also hit the dizzys vacuum unit near the bottom which i cant move!

I don`t really want to cut the engine lid if possible and leave it looking as stock as possible - has anyone ever seen any sort of engein lid offsets?
63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:39 am
Wow nice find. Loving them bumpers 8) 8)
I've seen a vw buggies with corvair power but never a bus. You could probably fabricate a plate to make the engine lid stand off at the top, kind of like beetle stand offs. Given overheating issues, reliability and cost implications of parts I think I'd be tempted to sell the engine and invest the money into the resto or rebuilding/replacing the other engine although its nice to have something different
Much as I hate to chunder on your chips, I read an article in a mag a few years back which was looking at vintage power upgrades and the view was that compared to modern upgrades available now the bhp/£ makes it quite an expensive hobby.
Bodywork looks fairly solid and I'm loving them windows. What's the plan, run it as it is knocks and scrapes and all.....hope so, looks cool as it is (maybe a lower though, but that's just my opinion). Any pics of the underneath or the cargo floor and what's the plan to sort out the missing bulkhead.

Shalom, Lee
e m p i

by 63CorvairSplit » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:17 am
The body work will be staying as is apart from a clean! I tested a small area with some cutting coming and the white paint is original and buffs up :-)

I think I'll persevere with the corvair engine - it's a bit of fun and remarkably similar to the VW engine. It's not going to cost anything to see if it goes or not and it looks on pretty good nick actually (apart from the rats nests!).

The van will be lowered on dropped spindles at the front with all other steering and suspension bushes renewed. I have most of the bit s off an 83 Porsche 944 and will be using them along with a 1302s box to irs it.

Will then be fitting the Porsche brakes all around to improve on those stock drums.

right, I'm off out into the sunshine to replace all that broken glass in the sides :-)

Mike
63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

by terrymusgrove » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:02 pm
Love the Corvair power! hope you manage to get her going. There seems to be alot of knowledge on the Samba if you need any advise for use with an IRS box etc. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Look forward to following your progress :)

Terry
terrymusgrove
SSVC Member

by 63CorvairSplit » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:32 pm
Here`s some pics of the underside as requested - i`ll be waxoiling / ankor waxing all of this soon :)

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

by 63CorvairSplit » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:37 pm
I also thought i`d better do something about those (as cool as they are) bullet holed side windows! I don`t think rain would agree with the inside of the van.

I took them all apart - had to heat the seals/rubbers in them to get them to reseat properly and added a little silicone sealant for good measure.

Van is looking a bit more happier now :)

These are the window winders for which elevate them out - unfortunately, all of mine, the mechanism inside is goosed. If anyone has any odea of where i can replacements or a similiar product, let me know.

63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

by e m p i » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:08 pm
Mate that looks as cool as ****. I'm so glad that you're not going to over restore it. Good on you for having the balls to take a crack at that corvair engine, I certainly wouldn't have the balls. Underside looks in really good nick as well, try to steer clear of that horrible black gunky underseal that eventually goes rock solid and then cracks to trap water. I've got a picture from about 10 years ago of a panel with the same widows as yours, will see if I can dig it out, it looks like a WW1 tank when the windows are open :lol:

Shalom, Lee
e m p i

by 63CorvairSplit » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:20 pm
Cheers - yep, i`ve seen the results of underseal before - i have to admit, i used to use it myself a few years ago, but i now know, it just traps the water underneath it. Much better to just cover it all in some sort of oil!

Forgot to say, i have a complete replacement bulkhead for the interior, which was removed quite cleanly and i`m hoping i can weld it in without the repair being noticed too much :wink:

The toolbox area under the seat which has the seat runners on has been a pain to get - vw brazil used to make brand new repair panels for this, but they`re no longer available and everywhere is out of stock. I `ve ordered one online from a french company called serial kombi. The order all went through ok, but i`m half expecting an email this week telling me they have none!

Otherwise on the lookout for a panel cut from another van!
63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

by panel van lee » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:22 am
Hi Mike.
Try www.vintagetrailersupply.com for your window parts.
Good luck with the bus
Cheers Lee.
panel van lee
SSVC Member

by 63CorvairSplit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:31 am
nice one - thanks for the link lee - it looks like they may have a reproduction of them :)
63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member

by markp » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:35 am
Wow that look so solid under there ......great find dude well done

I wish mine was as solid as that when I first got him

But he is looking a little better now :wink:

Mark
markp
SSVC Member

by 63CorvairSplit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 pm
I wouldnt kmow where to start with yours!

i finally managed to strip the engine down a bit today -

here it was oringinally

after i`d taken all the bits off and finally the fan shroud to discover....

more rats nests! Good thing i didnt try and get that running - might have had a few cooling issues!

after i scraped most of it away and hoovered(!)

and discovered a flat 6 engine - you see, a flat 6 does fit with no engine bay chopping!

i qlso took out the plugs and have poured some wd40 down the barrels to soak , although the engine does already turn, i diont want to take any chances with the rings :-)
63CorvairSplit
SSVC Member